Portion Control and Eating Once the Package is Open

Remy

This is my problem. In addition to many other things. But my portion control isn't good and once a package of some snack or sugar type item is open, I eat it. I'm also clearly not good at leaving that stuff at the grocery store.

I agree with the mention in another thread that things like granola bars are really candy bars. Bel Vita, Cliff bars. I'll buy those for work since I eat breakfast before 5am and sometimes don't make it to lunch until close to noon, so I keep things in my work bag. I'll get hungry about 9-10 and may eat half a Cliff Bar, but they are sugar.

This is my problem. In addition to many other things. But my portion control isn't good and once a package of some snack or sugar type item is open, I eat it. I'm also clearly not good at leaving that stuff at the grocery store.

I agree with the mention in another thread that things like granola bars are really candy bars. Bel Vita, Cliff bars. I'll buy those for work since I eat breakfast before 5am and sometimes don't make it to lunch until close to noon, so I keep things in my work bag. I'll get hungry about 9-10 and may eat half a Cliff Bar, but they are sugar.
for me going from 5am to noon before I eat..when I was working, was no big deal.. but clearly you are hungry before then so you know you need to eat.

Don't buy those granola bars, simply don't buy them... you're getting a sugar hit mid morning, which will probably be making you tired by noon...

If you can't just put a banana in your bag... or chop up some fruit or veggies to take with you, or even some low fat cheese and tomatoes.... then buy ready made oats... just by cutting down one high fat item a day you're going to help yourself..

Last edited:
for me going from 5am to noon before I eat..when I was working, was no big deal.. but clearly you are hungry before then so you know you need to eat.

Don't buy those granola bars, simply don't buy them... you're getting a sugar hit mid morning, which will probably be making you tired by noon...

If you can't just put a banana in your bag... or chop up some fruit or veggies to take with you, or even some low fat cheese and tomatoes.... then buy ready made oats... just by ctting down one high fat item a day you're going to help yourself..
Some good ideas. I don't eat dairy, bananas now make me sick as do whole nuts. I'm also running on my feet and very stressed at work, so that probably doesn't help with getting hungry.

But I do think coming up with some alternatives is what I need to think about. Even 1/2 smooth peanut butter sandwich (about the only nut item I tolerate anymore) I need something I can eat fast. My lunch break is the only break I take at work. Thank goodness it's only part time.

Some good ideas. I don't eat dairy, bananas now make me sick as do whole nuts. I'm also running on my feet and very stressed at work, so that probably doesn't help with getting hungry.

But I do think coming up with some alternatives is what I need to think about. Even 1/2 smooth peanut butter sandwich (about the only nut item I tolerate anymore) I need something I can eat fast. My lunch break is the only break I take at work. Thank goodness it's only part time.
peanut butter is full of fat.... you need to think of things which are low in fat and sugar...

What about a little tub of sugar free jello... very filling...
or.. handful of dates or apricots...again very filling..you'd be surprised..or even a little pack of raisins.. or any fresh fruit..like strawberries.. or melon..?

They might not sound as appetising as a Granola bar, but once you've had them a couple of time, you'll like them more..

Sugar free/artificial sweeteners aren't really any better than real sugar. I've read over the years that your body really can't tell the difference between the two. For me, it's no artificial sweeteners (they tear me up) & I limit the real thing. And then the real sugar is minimally processed, it's cane sugar with the molasses still in it. Highly processed sugar like high fructose corn syrup, which is almost in everything, is very addictive.

Have you looked at a low carb diet? If not going full low carb, then maybe a combination of it & with another. Some people have better luck if they start off slowly changing their diet while others jump right in to it. Eating the right protein will stay with you & you won't feel as hungry & you can go longer between meals.

My husband has always been a snacker, I'm not. He has put on weight because of an ankle problem which has kept him from the gym. Two weeks ago he said he needs to loose weight, so I went through the house & got rid of everything that was a snack food for him. If it's not in the house, he can't eat it.

When my SIL moved into the house we had for her, we didn't allow any of the junk food foods she preferred eating which were pure sugar foods & snack chips, etc. Her health was terrible as was her weight. She was getting senior meals at the other house that was healthy, but she ate the bad food & left them to go to waste for the most part. She would make a 9" two-layer cake & eat in within two days. She also sat most of the day watching TV in the old house.

At the grocery, she was only allowed to buy real food. No ready-made cookies, cakes, pastries, potato chips, etc. As little processed boxed foods like potatoes or stuffing as we could. We found recipes her Mom used to make & she had recipes for making her own cookies. If she wanted them, she was going to have to get off her can & make them instead of watching the boob-tube all day. Having a one-story house she could get out of helped too. She even decided to mow her own grass which gave her excercise.

It didn't surprise my husband & I, but when she went to the doctor she found out that she was loosing weight at a normal rate. Getting off of her head meds her one doctor had her addicted to also was an immense help.

@Remy, you are being active by moving & working which helps. Go to the grocery with a list & stick to it. Even spread out your shops from once a week to every two weeks or once a month. Watching what you eat when your stressed is very hard. Dieting during the holidays is the worst. It is definitely hard to change eating habits & if you have restrictions it can be harder. I have faith in you that you can do it. We all will be hear to support you.

I've been buying blocks of cheeses, slicing them into cubes, and storing in glass jars for snacks. Much cheaper than pre made cheese sticks. More variety too.
Always look for snacks with fiber too, to go with the cheese or eggs.

Edit: Nevermind. You don't eat dairy. 🙂

Last edited:
One intriguing video is called “The Five to One Fiber Rule” – which basically advocates that for every 5 grams of carbohydrate you eat, you should aim to get at least 1 gram of dietary fiber.
I try to follow this.

How about some Mary’s Organic crackers or similar. Have with a small slice of your non-dairy cheese or some real peanut butter. A couple of bites can take the edge off.

This reminds me that it’s time to bake up a batch of bran muffins. These definitely don’t taste like a cupcake.

Sugary foods play havoc with your appetite, whereas foods with protein help you feel satisfied. Nuts, jerky, hard boiled eggs are great tasty snacks with enough protein to quell your hunger.
All things I can't or don't eat. But I'm thinking of some alternatives.

How about some Mary’s Organic crackers or similar. Have with a small slice of your non-dairy cheese or some real peanut butter. A couple of bites can take the edge off.

This reminds me that it’s time to bake up a batch of bran muffins. These definitely don’t taste like a cupcake.
A open container of crackers can be a problem for me. I love crunch. Carbs in general. I'm going to get some smooth peanut butter. I like the "Once Again" brand that is nothing but peanuts, I add some salt when I stir it.

I just don't know, my eating disorder is ingrained since childhood when I starting comforting myself with food. I made the connection when this started at age 8 about 10 years ago.

That's OK. I was thinking non dairy cheese or even some cooked tofu and eat it cold. I have an extra cold pack I can put in my work bag. I keep my lunch in my car even in summer because I can park in good shade until afternoon.

I'm brainstorming some ideas.
Try a 1/4 cup of raw walnuts. Works wonders for my husband when he's peckish and supper is going to be a while. And you get the added benefit of getting your daily dose of omega 3's for your brain! (sorry, just noticed where you said you can't eat nuts!)

But, how about if you mixed some cooked quinoa into a stir fry from the night before and put a little salad dressing on it and call it a cold salad for the next day? Or instead of the quinoa, dice up some extra firm tofu for your protein and mix that into your stir fry.

For salad dressings, I often mix equal amounts of lemon juice, olive oil, soy sauce and maple syrup with a squashed garlic clove. Mix that into your cold salad, you might find that real tasty for a lunch.

Last edited:
I had a dietitian for awhile. And I asked her if it was ok, just to have coffee and 2 tbsps. of peanut butter only for breakfast because I was not hungry in the morning. She said that it was fine as I was getting some protein.
I agree PB is fine. But I have to make sure I moderate it because it does have a lot of fat. I buy the type I have to stir. I will not allow myself to eat it with a spoon out of the jar anymore. A little in oatmeal is really good also.

Back