Under Construction

hpb1.jpghpb2.jpghpb3.JPG

The West Highland Railway was built to Fort William by Robert McAlpine & Sons with Simpson & Wilson as engineers. Robert McAlpine & Sons was headed by Sir Robert McAlpine, nicknamed "Concrete Bob" for his innovative use of mass concrete. Concrete was used due to the difficulty of working the hard schist in the area

The viaduct is built from mass concrete, and has 21 semicircular spans of 50 feet. It is the longest concrete railway bridge in Scotland at 416 yards, and crosses the River Finnan at a height of 100 feet. The West Highland Line carries a single track and the viaduct is 18 feet wide between the parapets. The viaduct is built on a curve of 792 feet.

The concrete used in the Glenfinnan Viaduct is mass concrete, which unlike reinforced concrete does not contain any metal reinforcement. It is formed by pouring concrete, typically using fine aggregate, into formwork, resulting in a material very strong in compression but weak in tension.

Glenfinnan Viaduct has been used as a location in several films and television series, including Ring of Bright Water, Charlotte Gray, Monarch of the Glen, Stone of Destiny, The Crown and four of the Harry Potter films. (Hogwarts Express,) After its appearance in Harry Potter, British Transport Police had to warn fans not to walk on the viaduct after a handful of near misses with trains had occurred. It is also featured in the 2018 videogame Forza Horizon 4.

The Glenfinnan Viaduct features on some Scottish banknotes. The 2007 series of notes issued by the Bank of Scotland depicts different bridges in Scotland as examples of Scottish engineering, and the £10 note features the Glenfinnan Viaduct.

The whole building was gutted.When White House had to be completely gutted, 1949-1952

When President Truman moved into the executive mansion in 1945, they found the White House badly in need of repair after twelve years of neglect during the Depression and war. Floors groaned and creaked, winds blew in and out, strange sounds echoed in unusual corners. Why? Because it was on the brink of collapse. No overstatement.

It remained standing, said the Commissioner of the Public Buildings Administration, only “by force of habit.” The foundations were descending into the earth, the walls were falling away from the superstructure, and the entire second floor was so dilapidated as to be a fire hazard.

Congress requested an inspection to get a formal opinion on how bad the damage was, and the report determined the White House was unsafe for the Truman family to live in, so temporarily they moved. To be able to resume living in the White House, they decided to gut the building, leaving only the stone walls, and rebuild everything.

Journalists invited to the first press briefing inside the newly gutted space tried to describe the view to their readers. One reported: “The White House looks like a vast barn slowly being filled with steel cobwebs”.

In December of 1948, President Truman moved to the Blair House across the street and so began a multi-year renovation that would cost $5.7 million USD.

White_House_renovation%2B%25282%2529.jpg

White_House_renovation%2B%25288%2529.jpg

The whole building was gutted.

White_House_renovation%2B%25289%2529.jpg

White_House_renovation%2B%252819%2529.jpg

President Harry S. Truman and First Lady Bess Truman returning to the White House. 1952.

White_House_renovation%2B%252822%2529.jpg

White House State Dining Room. 1952.

Here is an interesting video showing many of the state capitol buildings, and when they were said to have been built. This guy has a lot of great videos about the Old World buildings both here in the United States as well in other paces in the world.

Thanks, Yvonne! Posts 27 and 29 cover the Lincoln Memorial and the White House.

Last edited:
Thanks, Yvonne! Posts 27 and 29 cover the Lincoln Monument and the White House.
I saw that , and I know that I have seen videos that specifically talk about these being ancient buildings that have been found and “re-purposed” by us since the 1800’s. I could not find that specific video, but this one is similar about the origins of our amazing old government structures.
I also watched a video from this same YT’er that talks about how the information we have been told about building these structures was not possible with our building abilities of the time. .
This is a fascinating subject, and if you have not looked into it yet, check out this Lunch Break YT channel and watch some of his videos, @Meanderer .

Do you think that these railroad tracks are being built or dug out of the dirt ?

IMG_3644.jpeg

I saw that , and I know that I have seen videos that specifically talk about these being ancient buildings that have been found and “re-purposed” by us since the 1800’s. I could not find that specific video, but this one is similar about the origins of our amazing old government structures.
I also watched a video from this same YT’er that talks about how the information we have been told about building these structures was not possible with our building abilities of the time. .
This is a fascinating subject, and if you have not looked into it yet, check out this Lunch Break YT channel and watch some of his videos, @Meanderer .

Do you think that these railroad tracks are being built or dug out of the dirt ?

View attachment 339243
Maybe it is an old Viking Railroad Track??:rolleyes:

At 145 years old, Connecticut's State Capitol building needs $54 million rehab

HARTFORD — "The landmark State Capitol building, completed in 1878 as a memorial to the Civil War, is crumbling and needs more than $54 million in repairs, cleaning and renovations, according to estimates that could increase by 4 percent or more annually as building officials await funding from the General Assembly."
960x0.webp

Back