2023-4 NFL Pro Football (Pls, no other sports - thx!)

I was quite surprised that the Ravens went down as I truly thought they'de win it all just because they're so well balanced a team but hey; anything can happen in a single game and in this case, it did!

I should know better than to doubt KC though. They seem to have a knack for peaking at just the right time.
4 outta 5 proves that.

Should be a great game. I just hope all the surrounding circus isn't too dsitracting.

Yes, should be a great game!

I'm sure the Ravens, and Lions, are doing some soul searching this week after their games ended.

What's truly shocking about this year's Superbowl is the average ticket price currently at $9,800.00. On top of that a decent hotel room in Vegas that weekend will run you another 5-6 grand. Then there's flight costs if you're not local.

My comfy couch in front of the big screen TV with Pizza & Wings and a cold beer is sounding better all the time (y)

What's truly shocking about this year's Superbowl is the average ticket price currently at $9,800.00. On top of that a decent hotel room in Vegas that weekend will run you another 5-6 grand. Then there's flight costs if you're not local.

My comfy couch in front of the big screen TV with Pizza & Wings and a cold beer is sounding better all the time (y)
I only went to one, and I was paid to be there. Sideline photographer. Still have my vest.

How'd that work out for you???
(Re Ravens)
Well, actually, I live in the SFBA and have been a Niners fan since Bill Walsh days. But I'm also a pro football fan since the 1960's, when the TVs were B&W and the picture fuzzy if you didn't have the rabbit-ears antennae just right, LOL. Loved that Packers sweep by Vince Lombardi! You do not want to ask me why Jerry Kramer is in the HoF when Fuzzy Thurston is not, or I will give you an earful.

Ravens OC had the worst plan ever. Yes, I know Harbaugh made excuses that the Chiefs galloped ahead 14-0 so the Ravens couldn't run the ball. But what I saw was that Lamar wouldn't run the ball - either himself or by handing off. He gets to call a lot of his plays; that's the offensive scheme they have. I honestly think he was so determined to prove that he COULD finally win a conference playoff game, that his focus was that he would win it himself - IOW, "Hero Ball".

Ravens fans are aghast that their team only ran six times total. Lamar's best weapon is his ability to run; his fundamentals are not the best (which is true for a lot of mobile QBs; Jalen Hurts/Eagles is a prime example). Lamar is best at throwing in the intermediate/middle zone; he's not as accurate on long throws. KC's DC did a great job taking the underside away from him.

Ravens strayed from their identity against Chiefs, and paid the price
Mike Jones, The Athletic
" The defeat represents a lost opportunity for the Ravens, even though the game never felt as close as the score might indicate. Jackson and his teammates lamented that they managed just one touchdown, and they’ll spend the offseason replaying costly miscues. It’s impossible to avoid wondering if a more patient approach would have better benefitted the Ravens while helping them find a better offensive flow throughout the game.

....This one will sting for a while, however, especially because of how it ended.

The 2023 season was a year of change and growth in Baltimore, and perhaps the Ravens can build on that. But Sunday, as they aimed for their ultimate goal, they strayed from their identity when pressure reached its highest point and never recovered. "
=====

As we all know, the best teams don't always get to the SB. I was NOT pleased to hear that

Bill Vinovich will officiate Super Bowl LVIII​

because this guy is TERRIBLE. And I mean, INCOMPETENT. This is the idiot in 2018 who completely missed the most obvious DPI ever committed by the LA Rams vs the NO Saints. Drew Brees lost his best chance to be in the SB because of this guy. It was the only year everything was going the Saints' way: they had the hottest offense in the NFL and one of the very best Ds, and they were peaking at just the right time.

I've watched enough football and rooted for enough teams that I can shrug off losses by whatever team I'm supporting as I watch. But I was verbally screaming at the TV because I could not believe that DPI play happened RIGHT IN FRONT of Vinovich and he didn't call it. It was disgraceful.

I really felt for all the players and their fans, but especially for Brees. He'll get into the HoF anyway, but.....!

I've been a 49er fan since the Dick Nolan days. I got to cover them for 30 years (sideline photographer). All NFL officials are incompetent because they are not full time, like MLB or NBA.

I rarely watch the games live, because if they lose, I tend to get upset (I threw our 40" TV into the Bay after they lost the last SB they were in...Yes, I am inspired by the great Keith Moon) so this year, we will be trout fishing, after which we'll go eat at the Dead Fish in Crockett. Blindingly great shellfish sizzling platters.

On-field competitors are off-field buddies:

Why 49ers’ George Kittle is the anti-Kelce, and both Super Bowl tight ends dig it
SF Chronicle Feb 8, 2024

LAS VEGAS — By his own assessment, and that of millions of others, Travis Kelce is “living the dream.” Yet as Super Bowl week drones on, the Kansas City Chiefs’ star tight end has grown weary of answering questions about megastar girlfriend Taylor Swift, his near-telepathic connection to quarterback Patrick Mahomes and Sunday’s impending matchup with the San Francisco 49ers.

There was one topic, however, that got Kelce excited Thursday at the team’s Lake Las Vegas hotel: the intense familial bonds displayed by his San Francisco 49ers counterpart, George Kittle, on a conspicuous and relentless basis.

“Man, the Kittle family is flat-out amazing,” Kelce told me, his smile wide and his voice beaming with appreciation. “They are just so open and warm and full of energy, and they’ve got something really special going. I love being around them, and they just open up their arms to me wherever I go.”

Kelce has become a tabloid darling because of his high-profile relationship. Kittle is his sappy, semi-square counterpart. The two close friends and fellow All-Pros have much in common — they’re flamboyant, thoughtful and popular team leaders who love to have fun off the field — but their romantic lives couldn’t be more different.

Kelce is dating one of the most famous people on the planet; Kittle’s wife of nearly five years, Claire, was his college sweetheart and is now his near-constant companion. And as Kelce affirmed, the Kittle clan — featuring his parents, Bruce Kittle and Jan Krieger; sister Emma and her baseball-playing husband, Cody Joe Ponce; and members of Claire’s family, the Tills — exists as a self-contained universe and omnipresent force of nature.

“The Kittle Crew, man, that’s a powerful crew,” said 49ers fullback Kyle Juszczyk, one of the tight end’s closest friends. “Wherever they go, they seem to just dominate the room. They always bring energy. They’re all so tall, so you always recognize who’s part of that group.”

Juszczyk added that Kittle “is such a showman and always puts on a great show for everybody. But deep down, he really is a family man and loves his family and loves his wife so much, and they truly love him. They’re one of the most fun and passionate and loving crews that I’ve been around.”

The passion between George and Claire is about as subtle as one of the tight end’s pancake blocks or rollicking touchdown runs through an opposing secondary. He’s elite when it comes to YAC (Yards After Catch) and PDA (Public Displays of Affection), and it most certainly isn’t for show.

“My wife does a really good job of just kind of helping me decompress from all the pressure, the stress, the anxiety, whatever goes with” playing football, Kittle said Wednesday. Claire “always reminds me that I’m just George, and I can go out there and have a fun time.”

Claire, like Kittle’s parents, comes to every home and road game (other than the COVID-impacted 2020 season, none of the three has missed one since before the Niners’ last Super Bowl appearance) and often greets her husband afterward by racing toward him as he exits the locker room and locking him in a leaping embrace.

Given that Claire was an Iowa state high-jump champion before playing college basketball — at Iowa, where she met George — it’s not surprising that the 6-footer makes it look effortless. Before suffering a string of knee injuries, her athleticism was eye-popping. “Freshman year of high school, she dunked a tennis ball, which is pretty sick,” George said. “She was a freak. Then, unfortunately, she had five knee surgeries starting her sophomore year of high school.”

Claire Till found her niche with the Hawkeyes as a hyper-physical role player, something that delighted her future husband. “She was gritty,” Kittle said proudly. “She was a 2-3 guard that played 4-5 in college; she had to guard the big girls in the Big Ten. She threw her elbows around. If you went into the lane, she was gonna foul the hell out of you. If she didn’t foul out, I was disappointed.”

That might serve as a warning to anyone attempting to hit on her husband, fictitiously or otherwise. In October, a Twitter post went viral that contained a screenshot of a message that appeared to be written by singer Dua Lipa that tagged Kittle and said, “I want a tight end.” It turned out to be a well-crafted prank, but hundreds of thousands of users fell for it.

In response, Claire — who posts an Instagram video before each 49ers game — used a Dua Lipa song in the background of her next offering. “She’s spicy,” George said of his wife.

The fallout from the prank gave Kittle a very small taste of what Kelce’s past five months have been like — an existence the Niners’ tight end finds surreal.

“No, I can’t wrap my head around it,” he said. “At some point in the offseason, I’ll probably have to grab a beer and talk to him about it. While it might seem to all of us that it could be a distraction, it might not be to him. I think Travis is a mature man; he knows how to handle his business, and I think he puts football over everything. He’s playing in the Super Bowl. He obviously knows how to handle anything going on off the field.”

Kittle and Kelce, along with Fox broadcaster and former NFL tight end Greg Olsen, serve as the co-hosts for Tight End University, an annual convention for those who play the hybrid position at the highest level. It’s a friendship Kittle doesn’t take for granted.

He still remembers the thrill of being followed back on Instagram by Kelce as a second-year player in 2018 — “That was a big deal for me,” Kittle said — and lauds the 34-year-old future Hall of Famer for his generosity. One example: During the past offseason, Kelce flew to Nashville (where Kittle makes his offseason home) to appear as an in-person guest on the “Hidden Pearls Podcast,” which Kittle co-hosts with his father and sister.

“He came in just for the day, just to do the podcast,” Kittle recalled. “Who does that?”

Then again, given Kelce’s regard for the Kittle clan, it’s not all that surprising. “I feel like the adopted son of Bruce and Jan,” Kelce said. “Man, that family is something else.”

For Kittle, who beat out Kelce for first-team All-Pro honors in 2023 (he also did so in 2019, the season in which the Niners last reached the Super Bowl), his family is a source of strength that fuels his football success. “I make it a huge goal of mine to keep my family around as much as I possibly can,” Kittle said. “My dad’s like my best friend, besides my wife. My mom’s fantastic; my sister’s great. And to be able to have them around — and my wife’s family’s around, too — I like having people around that love me and care for me.

“There are a lot of distractions to the NFL. The longer you play, the more people know you, and there are more (people) that want your attention. To have my family around me, it keeps me grounded, but (there’s) also a sense of unconditional love. It’s really fun.”

Put it this way: Kelce isn’t the only star tight end living the dream.

Back