4 Law Enforcement Officials Killed, 4 Injured in Charlotte, N.C.

I read they were trying to arrest a felon on gun possession. It seems obvious that the felon was planning to shoot up as many officers as he could. He succeeded. Very sad.

This is the kind of situation where maybe drones could help? Use the drones to draw him out or see what kind of weapons he has in advance as he tries to shoot those down. THEN, call in the SWAT tanks.

I am not for the militarization of police in general, but with how easy it is for bad people to get automatic weapons, I'm sure these officers and their bosses are wishing they had SWAT a lot of other equipment. It is equipment that should only need to be used rarely, but when you need it, it would be good to have.
Four law enforcement officers didn't go home at the end of the day. I was taught at an early age to respect law enforcement, and I don't feel like changing that now. You don't start shooting at law enforcement officers knocking at your door because you are a model citizen. That person obviously knew right from wrong, and he didn't go home at night either. I support law enforcement, and when I meet them on the street or at the cafe, I speak and encourage them to be careful. I've been shot at, I didn't like it. I respect those who put aside natural fear and move toward the danger for us.

Now is not a good time to discuss gun control.

@davey, you broke one of the golden rules: Never debate gun control with an American. It's verboten. It never ends well.

@Rakaia, the reality is, there is never a good time. Guns are simply part of the American culture.
@VaughanJB
I was actually being facetious and taking the P!55 out of the NRA who invariably use this in the short term to stifle any attempts to debate guns and their place in the American psyche.

Meanwhile @oslooskar wants to have an 'intelligent debate' on this emotive and topical issue. Pfft praise the lord and pass the ammunition.

Most interesting: "Non-Thai citizens are not permitted to own firearms in Thailand".

Really? I don't find it the least bit interesting. After all, there are numerous countries all over the world where citizens and non-citizens alike are not permitted to own or possess firearms. Personally, I would most likely be fascinated by the mindset of the Israelis if I were a psychiatrist. They seem to be a classic example of what Arthur Schopenhauer meant about classroom-educated individuals often lacking in common sense. I say this because they are a nation that is almost completely surrounded by hostiles who want to kill them, yet they willingly tolerate strict gun control laws that prevent them from having immediate access to firearms. Come to think of it, I don't think those ridiculous Israeli gun laws did much good this last October; quite the opposite, me thinks.

On Tuesday morning, my sister called me at 1 in the morning and said someone was trying her door to get in. I live about 20 minutes away. I jumped in my vehicle and was there in less than 15 minutes. I saw a tall thin man walking through her development, so I got ahead of him and jumped him from behind. I had hid behind a large bush.

Once I had him under control, I found a .380 stuck in his waistband and a knife in a sheath around his ankle. I disarmed him and notified the police. I gave my statement and left. This morning at 11: 00, I am going to attend his bail hearing. He’s using a public defender so I hope the judge sets his bail at the maximum of $50,000. That will cost him about $3500 (7%) to get out of jail. I know nothing about him, does he have parents? Does he have any relatives in the area?

I haven’t seen the arrest report, but I will this morning. My concern is that your normal thief doesn’t carry deadly weapons, so what were his intentions? I’m sure the judge will ask him, but I don’t expect an answer. He will be bailed and remanded

A convicted felon with another felony on his record knew he was probably going back to jail for life or come out a senior citizen. POS had a woman and 17 year old with him. Even if accomplishes he put them at risk. The killer punched his own one way ticket long ago.

It is interesting, since only citizens seem to have the right for self-defence with firearms.

Well, that is certainly better than being in Great Britain where nobody has the right to self-defense with firearms.

Many male German seniors are living in Thailand. This would be a reason for me not to live there

Okay, I'll take the bait, why would that be a reason for you not to live here? Mind you, one of my neighbors is an Israeli.

No! No! No! I'm terribly sorry, but you're not allowed to have any ammunition.
I would never fool myself that gun control is at the heart of the events that resulted in the death of 4 law officers, the injury of 4 more and the criminal whose life was also wasted. This was, as I see it, another case of someone who thought they could violate the law and win that discussion in the streets. There was a legal route the perpetrator could take. He made a gravely foolish decision and everyone lost as a result.

I would never fool myself that gun control is at the heart of the events that resulted in the death of 4 law officers

Right! And I would never be so naive or delusional as to believe that gun regulations preventing law-abiding citizens from accessing firearms save lives. In fact, I can only opine that they do quite the opposite, as was clearly evident on October seventh in Israel.

This is the kind of situation where maybe drones could help? Use the drones to draw him out or see what kind of weapons he has in advance as he tries to shoot those down. THEN, call in the SWAT tanks.

Yes, robot dogs. Here is a YouTube of one that helped save lives:

Over and over and over it happens and nothing has been effective in stopping it.
Well, that could be because each state formulates different laws. Only a national approach will succeed in lowering the death rate from firearms. This is highly unlikely to happen in US so the death rate will continue to be high, and many thousands of people will die violently each year.

Only a national approach will succeed in lowering the death rate from firearms.

Where's your evidence of that?

This is highly unlikely to happen in US so the death rate will continue to be high

"high"???? Despite its prominence, the USA does not even rank within the top 50 countries for homicide rates globally. Also, the homicide rate is going down in the USA.

and many thousands of people will die violently each year.

Yes, at least 800,000 of them died violent deaths in Rwanda because they did not have firearms to protect themselves.

Last edited:
Where's your evidence of that?
Australia is my evidence. Our constitution is quite similar to the US one in that we are also a federation of states. It took the agreement of all six states to deliver national laws regulating firearms after a shocking massacre in Tasmania back in 1996. I would have thought that after Sandy Hook there might have been some uniform legislation in US but the slaughter of little kids in their elementary school did not result in significant reforms.

"high"???? Despite its prominence, the USA does not even rank within the top 50 countries for homicide rates globally. Also, the homicide rate is going down in the USA.
It's not just homicides. The number of suicides by firearm is higher than the number of homicides. Look up the total number of deaths in 2019 and you will see that the US comes in second, after Brazil. (Gun Deaths by Country 2024) However, taking population into account, the US is much lower down the list but still way ahead of Canada, New Zealand, Australia and the UK.

Yes, at least 800,000 of them died violent deaths in Rwanda because they did not have firearms to protect themselves.
You cannot compare the Rwanda genocide (1994) to US, unless you anticipate a second Civil War breaking out. If that were to happen the figure would be much higher than 800,000 before the shooting stopped.

Warrigal, if you want to debate, then please make it easier for me to accurately quote you. The bottom line is that the crime rate in Australia is increasing, whereas in the United States, it's decreasing.

Additionally, unlike our Constitution, yours doesn't even include a Bill of Rights. You mentioned, "You cannot compare the Rwanda genocide (1994) to US," but I wasn't comparing it to the U.S., as you know. The point was clearly that the absence of firearms resulted in the deaths of 800,000 people, many of whom were women and children. In fact, in Rwanda, far more children were murdered because their parents were unarmed and unable to protect them than in Sandy Hook.

Comparing Australia to the United States is illogical. After all, Australia is a continent surrounded by water and doesn't share an almost 2000-mile-long border with a violent crime-ridden Third World country. Furthermore, it doesn't have a minority population of 13.4% responsible for over 50% of its homicides.

Last edited:
So, how did you know this individual was the same person who had attempted to break into your sister's home?
Well, gee, who else would be creeping between the homes at 2 in the morning? Besides, my sister texted me 2 pictures from her outside camera. He appeared to match the build of the person I was tracking.

Well, gee, who else would be creeping between the homes at 2 in the morning? Besides, my sister texted me 2 pictures from her outside camera. He appeared to match the build of the person I was tracking.
It might be helpful to state that you are a former PA State Police officer, for those who don't know you as a SF member. JimB.

Right! And I would never be so naive or delusional as to believe that gun regulations preventing law-abiding citizens from accessing firearms save lives. In fact, I can only opine that they do quite the opposite, as was clearly evident on October seventh in Israel.
Agreed. I have to believe that law enforcement knew they were serving a warrant on a very dangerous criminal. You don't send that many experienced officers to deliver a parking ticket. We all know that the cry for gun control is a false flag. Criminals get guns no matter what the law says. Politicians tend to say pass a law simply to preserve their next election bid's success. The culprit is dead. The sadness of law officer deaths is the heartbreaking. When you have officers that run into danger you support them and lift them up, you don't shout for gun control. Get some common sense.

Back