$14.25 for a pack of Newport Cigarettes?

Paladin1950

Baseball Fan Forever!
That's 71.25¢ a cigarette! I remember being a kid in 1968 and seeing a vending machine where I worked that was selling packs of cigarettes for 75¢ a pack. Or 3.75¢ a cigarette. With those prices, cigarettes are now always found behind the cashiers counter in a glass case. Every time I pay up in the dollar stores and see those prices, it makes me so glad that I'm a life long non-smoker. That of course doesn't include marijuana in my younger days. :)

It's the same here.. only in Pounds which is more than Dollars...

Approx £14 per pack of twenty cigarettes... ( $17.30 US)

I knew about the cost because I read about it in the papers.. but last week I had to collect an item from the customer service desk at the supermarket... the desk also serves as a cigarette Kiosk, and the woman in front of me asked for 2 packs of cigarettes.. and my jaw hit the floor when she was asked for £27..and change..

How can people afford that ?.. It's astonishing !

It's the same here.. only in Pounds which is more than Dollars...

Approx £14 per pack of twenty cigarettes... ( $17.30 US)

I knew about the cost because I read about it in the papers.. but last week I had to collect an item from the customer service desk at the supermarket... the desk also serves as a cigarette Kiosk, and the woman in front of me asked for 2 packs of cigarettes.. and my jaw hit the floor when she was asked for £27..and change..

How can people afford that ?.. It's astonishing !
Smokers are addicts therefore will ensure they have smokes before food, if it comes to that.

They've elevated smoking cigs to a status symbol because of the expense. Was that the idea all along? All of young Hollywood smokes. That surprised me at first. Only the wealthy can afford to smoke.

A Vietnamese guy I worked with smoked. Said he couldn't give it up even after the price skyrocketed.
He's in his 70s and smoked his whole life.
Interestingly enough, he moved back to Vietnam and quit smoking over there because he said that their cigarettes were lousy tasting.

They've elevated smoking cigs to a status symbol because of the expense. Was that the idea all along? All of young Hollywood smokes. That surprised me at first. Only the wealthy can afford to smoke.
Conversely Chic.. the few people that I still see on the streets who smoke, look like the very people who can least afford it..

That's why vapes have become so popular. And who knows what effects they have on health.
My husband vapes, has done for about 12 years or more..what it did do was clear up the horrendous smokers cough he had.... but I feel he smokes more, because he can vape in places where was unable to smoke before... Also he buys good quality Vaping juice...but I've seen people buying Vaping juice in the Pound shop.... what on earth are they putting into their lungs ? !:oops:

Wht the majority of smokers don't realise is that it's not just Lung cancer which is the biggest danger of smoking.. it's Bladder cancer, and Oesophagus, stomach, colon, rectum, liver, pancreas, & voicebox cancers too....

Smokers are addicts therefore will ensure they have smokes before food, if it comes to that.
Not true. I do smoke, but if I had to choose either cigarettes or food, I'd go with food. That said, I'd probably make an effort to grow my own tobacco. YouTube has tutorials.

The Korean brand I smoke costs *only* $7.84 per pack at the Valero station near my old apartment.

But I usually buy 4 cartons per month (all at once) at a local vape shop. The owner and I have been friends for 10 years, and he charges me just a few bucks more than he pays for them; a little over $67 per carton.

My husband vapes, has done for about 12 years or more..what it did do was clear up the horrendous smokers cough he had.... but I feel he smokes more, because he can vape in places where was unable to smoke before... Also he buys good quality Vaping juice...but I've seen people buying Vaping juice in the Pound shop.... what on earth are they putting into their lungs ? !:oops:

Wht the majority of smokers don't realise is that it's not just Lung cancer which is the biggest danger of smoking.. it's Bladder cancer, and Oesophagus, stomach, colon, rectum, liver, pancreas, & voicebox cancers too....
Yeah, a lot of vaping juices are just chemical cocktails, and the vaping devices people buy now allow that stuff to get to your lungs. The first devices, and especially e-cigarettes, didn't do that.

When I tried vaping I only bought unflavored juice that was basically just liquid nicotine. That stuff is difficult to find these days...the demand just isn't there, so not many shops carry it.

Last edited:
Yeah, a lot of vaping juices are just chemical cocktails, and the vaping devices people buy now allow that stuff to get to your lungs. The first devices, and especially e-cigarettes, didn't do that.

When I tried vaping I only bought unflavored juice that was basically just liquid nicotine. That stuff is difficult to find these days...the demand just isn't there, so not many shops carry it.
o/h buys his online... he always has :) he makes up his own flavours at home.. .... UK Company.... https://www.totallywicked-eliquid.co.uk/

A Vietnamese guy I worked with smoked. Said he couldn't give it up even after the price skyrocketed.
He's in his 70s and smoked his whole life.
Interestingly enough, he moved back to Vietnam and quit smoking over there because he said that their cigarettes were lousy tasting.
That's interesting. And yeah, those Vietnamese cigarettes were nasty.

Cigarettes killed my mother. There is a reason they are called coffin nails. Rich or poor they are always a tragic mistake. Oh, and by the way, the nicotine in them is addictive.

Back