Hello Seniors

TennVet

I sought out a forum that holds the possibility of sharing discussions aside from the non-sense on most of the social media platforms. We are a senior couple living a comfortable rural life in the southeast US. We are conservative, retired, enjoy some travel, love to share in the life of our children and grandchildren, and mind our own business. I guess you could describe us midway to the right of center, meaning we don't really condemn the beliefs of others but we don't subscribe to extreme notions.

We garden, dine out when the mood hits us, enjoy an eclectic mix of music genre, although country is very often our choice. I mow our lawn, the lawn of the lady next door and sometimes the yard of our son who lives near and works a lot. I'm a Vietnam combat veteran, and take the security of our great nation seriously. We use technology in those instances where it doesn't feel intrusive and have been known to buy things we need and probably could do without online. When I replaced our home computer I opted for a laptop using MS for its operating system, have wished a number of times I had gone with an Apple product just because of its ease of connectivity.

We try to attend to our health needs and to avoid being a burden on our children. We both read a great deal, my wife prefers real paper, while I am much more comfortable using my Kindle and have a library of ebooks approaching 9K, many that I have never read. I delight in finding good free ebooks but I'll spend a buck when something really grabs my interest. Our hair is gray and we don't move as quickly as we used too, but we enjoy what we enjoy and don't apologize for our beliefs.

That is quite an Introduction!
I have been a disabled veteran's advocate for over 41 years and my deceased husband was USMC Combat Vietnam.

My daughter gave me a Kindle 11 years ago on Mother's day and I love it!

I had to stop buying books- have too many- BUT then the new Watergate book came out, I bought it at amazon.

I have always been interested in the Watergate situation and was reading John Dean's book while I was in labor, when my daughter was born.

I took photos of the Watergate Hotel in DC and it might have been the day after the Wall was officially opened.

Luckily my husband was at the Wall in DC as well as at the Travelling Wall here in NY before he died.

There is something here for everyone- a Great site!!!!!! Welcome!!!!!

Hello, and may you pass on that good example of reading often and a lot to your grandkids and children. Adult kids are often too busy to read much, but just a few newspaper articles, well-written, don't take a lot of time.

We MUST continue to create a nation of READERS.

welcome-from-london.jpg

Hello TennVet. Your intro is very similar to me and my wife, so I will not repeat.

We have walked many the same paths.... except I missed out on serving in the military. It probably would have done me good, but it just didn't happen.

We live in Missouri and are retired. We travel when it suits us. We enjoy taking care of our lawn and garden. I have a few hobbies that keep me real busy, e.g. learning to play the guitar, oil painting landscapes, managing our finances, building model airplanes and some cars, etc. etc.

We love being retired and we are blessed with good health....

Welcome to the forum, @TennVet ! I am a re-purposed Idaho native, now living in North Alabama; so not that far from Tennessee. Are you anywhere near the elephant sanctuary by Hohenwald ?
After reading about it in a book, I was amazed to learn that we have an elephant sanctuary in Tennessee.

Back