We're sitting on the deck
Sipping cool drinks
Gazing at the view across the valley from the top of the hill
Watching the koi in the pond
Suddenly, this round thing quietly cruises by

'Uh, Louie, what was that?'

'It mows my lawn'

He has a couple acres of lawn

0.35 acre minus what the house occupies.

View attachment 342997
good Lord..I mow the same size lawn myself all the time.. every 2 weeks for 6 months of the year minimum... I'm 69 years old, and use a walk behind Mower.. for goodness sakes.. kids want money for nothing now...

ETA...and further..my Lawns are not flat..I have to mow uphill much of the way...

Last edited:
The kid may not want to mow lawns anymore and came up with a white lie about mower access to avoid saying that. Offering to buy a mower might solve a problem he doesn't actually have.

My advice: bite the bullet and pay a professional lawn service to take care of the mowing if you don't want to do it yourself. Yes, it will cost a bit more than getting a neighborhood kid to do it, but generally you get what you pay for in life. Get recommendations from neighbors who use a service - it's ok to ring their doorbells to ask who mows their lawns.

Professionals show up as scheduled and take care of business. That said, whether it's kids or professionals, don't be that person who walks the property as they're packing up or after they leave looking for imperfections in their work, bugging them for a re-do, or they'll drop you like a bad habit.

Waiting until the next time they come and politely asking if they'd please do XYZ differently is sufficient.

The kid may not want to mow lawns anymore and came up with a white lie about mower access to avoid saying that. Offering to buy a mower might solve a problem he doesn't actually have.
I don’t think this kid wants to mow Deb’s lawn either
Around here, you can rent goats to chew down your lawn, weeds, whatever.
We’ve actually considered getting a goat but have no fence and we have dogs.

I don’t think this kid wants to mow Deb’s lawn either

We’ve actually considered getting a goat but have no fence and we have dogs.
Seems to me it'd be a lot easier (and cheaper) to cut a lawn 4-6 months a year than housing, feeding, providing veterinarian attention, dealing with destruction of things you didn't want chewed up, and otherwise managing a goat.

Seems to me it'd be a lot easier (and cheaper) to cut a lawn 4-6 months a year than housing, feeding, providing veterinarian attention, dealing with destruction of things you didn't want chewed up, and otherwise managing a goat.
Yes. Its not something we thought of for long
It’s more like a family joke. Every time the grass gets long and mentioned, my husband throws in ‘shoulda got a goat.’ Then we’ll joke about drinking goats milk and making goats milk cheese for Greek salads.

Have you found anyone yet Deb? Maybe just hire someone to start and keep looking for someone that fits the budget better. Meanwhile, that grass gets longer....it causes you stress having to think about it. I had to find a new lawn guy a year or so ago and it stressed me out.

Have you found anyone yet Deb?
I emailed 2 local services and also PMed 2 people I know that might know someone, including the one that told me about the kid I had last year. So far no responses, but it's the weekend.

I had a good guy two years ago, but he suddenly doubled his price. I can't see paying $100 a week for grass cutting.

Have you checked online - FB, NextDoor, etc?

If $100 for one week is too much, just have them every other week.
Every other week could work. You should find someone for around $50-65. Maybe less, depending on where you live.

I still haven't found anyone to mow.

I have someone trying to find a mower for me, but so far that hasn't panned out.

Then I also tried calling a guy that did it a few times when I was at my former home. It rang and rang and finally a sleepy voice answered. I explained what I wanted and he said "Just a minute." then it sounded like thumping and muffled noises for about a minute, then a dial tone. This was like 5 pm yesterday.

Out of desperation I went over to neighbor's house when I saw him puttering around, with the pretext of telling him when the village-wide garage sale is. When I brought up lawn mowing, he said his back was bothering him, but his son might do it since he was always looking to make some extra money. He called his son, but even he wasn't interested. What's going on that nobody want to mow? It's starting to look like a hay field (in the photos it's difficult to get a perspective of the height of the grass - and weeds).

lawn1.jpglawn2.jpg

Maybe instead of trying to find "a kid", "a neighbor", a church member, etc. to mow, you might consider just hiring a professional lawn maintenance service... they couldn't just say "no thanks" on a whim like these other people are doing. Sure it would cost more than a cheap kid who may not do a great job, but personally I'd just budget the extra cost out of something else like groceries or "extras" that I spend on. It's not year-round, so it would work at least in my case.

Last edited:
Do you have local trustees, a councilman or HOA? Reach out for a referral or help. See someone mowing a neighbors lawn, walk over with a $50 bill and say "please mow my lawn".

Back