Living the Hong Kong Dream!!

davey

Hong Kong is getting some bad press atm - but it is such a frentic life style it just keeps duckin and weaving [and there are plenty of ducks there believe me - seen the hundreds of live duck farms and the beautifully brown glazed ones hanging in the meat shop windows!] I lived there with family in the late 70's and early 80's and it was like living on a movie set everyday!

I had secured an hospital teaching job and as such was under the hospices of the "health dept". HK can be fun fun fun but there is also officialdom and I met that on our first day at immigration. I handed in my documents including the piece from the 'health dept' explaining all. The polite unsmiling young man responded welcome to HK Mr D your visa is for 3 yrs and your wife and chidren for 3 mths!!!!????@@@@ - stop stop now just stop right there - "ya don't think I am walkin through these gates under those conditions - NO NO NO - not possible?? - when faced with negativity and refusal of commands the inexperienced officials run for help. Which is what he did - the next minute another unsmiling but older official approached - muttered something to him probably in Cantonese and I was then told - sorry I made a mistake you are all welcomed in for 3 yrs. I had learned my first lesson - don't take crap from officialdom but also MOST IMPORTANTLY don't lose your temper - this is the unforgiveable sin in Asia!! from then on it was almost plain sailing!!

https://www.seniorforums.com/attach...2559785&hash=9cbef30704774db9bd4e7fbe107f4c2e

Last edited:
OK ! we'd got through immigration and I knew I was being picked up but didn't realize it was by my future boss - how charming - so off we went in an undersized car with 2 small adults/ 2 large adults/ the driver and my boss! - We all spoke perfect English except for the driver! As we drover through varied suburbs I kept spotting the colour of green mold on gleaming white walls? Much later to discover it is constant just the washing of the walls isn't! Mold is part of life in the tropics and constant cleaning is considered?

We drove to the hospital to pick some official papers up and then back to the tourist district TST to be desposited at our hotel which has long long disappeared under the wreckers ball {the Merlin Hotel] ; if anyone recalls? I now feel like part of old HK. Two large stately rooms one for the kids and one for adults. Had a few beers and then a snooze. Woke and grabbed my son and said 'we are going foraging for cheap takeaways until we learn to wine and dine properly in Chinese fashion. Can you imagine being dumped in the middle of TST and not knowing your arse from your elbow? I also had a set of written instructions; like a map to a Chinese secret fortune - and it was in so many ways! I had to venture forth the following day for a brief meeting with one of the big wigs in HK island - I think my boss had said " just jump in a taxi for the wharf - catch a ferry across to HK island ; then another taxi to headquarters? - Hmm easy peasy with the flu just sleazy!! Until tomorrow ?

Attachments

• hotel merlin.jpg
    hotel merlin.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 5
  • please come through!!.jpg
    please come through!!.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
don't take crap from officialdom but also MOST IMPORTANTLY don't lose your temper - this is the unforgiveable sin in Asia!!
Got that right

I was in Kowloon in 2000, during the takeover celebration
Quite festive
24/7

Everything then seemed to be going quite well until the youngsters - late teens/early 20's started chanting for freedom and democracy - I sympathized with them of course but they were going to far and then things started getting nasty. Once you challenged the big juggernaught of communism too much - well remember Tiananmen Square?? - Carrie Lam had met the students halfway I believe and was going to do a deal with them but they just wanted total freedom and that wasn't going to happen. I watched with despair and unbelief!

Last edited:
We stayed in the adorable Merlin for a week I think before arranging private accomodation. But I am now ahead of myself - next day with the flu I had to navigate a harbour crossing ; hailing taxis and finding the CEO of the health dept. I think this was the first test of many over 3 yrs. But I had to show my metal for sure. So next day with the flu I faced a drizzly light rain and hailed a taxi very easily as many will attest outside the hotel or perhaps I didn't the ferry was only a few streets away - maybe I walked? But the amazing star ferry I caught - one of the wonders of the world catching a star ferry across HK harbour - A harbour in which months later I would sail every saturday arvo - but I am jumping ahead now!! Oh just the sight of the lovely ferry - the plied the harbour crossing daily with hundreds of passengers but now have almost disappeared. We are not making progress in this world of ours? - does anyone remember "the world of suzie wong" in which the HK ferry starred?

Attachments

• starferry.jpg
    starferry.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 1
Now I think I was getting the feel of the place already - HK teaches you to fend for yourself not many will assist - just get on with it. Caught the second taxi with easy - most drivers have a good command of listening and speaking limited English but that's all you need. I found the immensely impressive building - old colonial as many were still and also found the CEO - female. We just chatted generally - it was just a formality really and I was to see her only once more in my entire stay. I remember her final comment to me or advice maybe as I left " sometimes working and surviving in HK is like walking on eggshells" - I never did experience that though - must have been lucky?

HK health dept.jpg

Last edited:
Well we still had to organize schooling for the kids although it may not have been compulsory for outsiders to attend? - but our moral compasses were wavering. And we also were invited by my boss again - another thing ya learn in HK - hierachial matters ; so I was getting the best treatment.

He showed me and the missus an empty flat just within 5 mins walk of my office to be. It was 3000 squ ft. by HK size for many a palace. It was somewhat dusty and had that forlorn neglected look about it but lovely balcony looking over one of the many bays and some island were the explosives were kept at one time. I think the peace and quiet of this small rock and close proximity prevailed and we accepted the flat with grace much to the relief of my boss who would have perhaps lost it on his list of 'accessibles' if not taken.

Each of our immediate needs were being met by different governmental departments! - somewhat complex but it all worked magically like clockwork!. Another meeting I now recall I had at 'head office' was with two european gentlemen who dealt with 'education' of minors - they informed my that they could just squeeze our little minors into appropriate schooling which looking back they enjoyed immensely - "controlled multiculturally at its best" as was HK in fact. Thank goodness we were there long before the handover. To some extent we were still treated like byegone colonials - who sometimes referred to HK as "dear old honkers"! how crass!

The flat was furnished already although nothing flash - juste standard govt issue but passable - so once cleaned we moved in we just had to wait for our additional small items like pots and pans which were travelling the cheap route via Russia. My heart was in my mouth but all went well in those days - and then the Missus started buying bits and pieces - cheaper for locals than tourists?

8/10 seater buses picked up all the local kids for school there and back for a fee. I started working - the wife started shopping and playing tennis and badminton etc etc. I suddenly realized I was an expensive 'meal ticket' At least I started sailing in HK harbour on a Saturday arvo!

As they ran out of flat land they started chopping off the tops of hills and building on them. Neat idea but those poor dear chinese armahs who couldn't afford a mini-bus had to treck up the hill for treatment or work

Princess_Margaret_Hospital_202101.jpg

Last edited:
I was in Hong Kong (Kowloon) in 1991. We spent a lot of time down on Nathan Road shopping. Prices were unbelievable. I bought my girlfriend at the time a beautiful Opal and Diamond ring for less than half of what it was appraised at here in the U.S. I didn't intend to do it, but her birthday is in October and the Opal is October's birthstone. She wore it like an engagement ring and I was OK with that. I really miss that lady.

I remember flying into the old HK airport. It was like located out in the water. I was a passenger and I think we actually flew between two buildings while landing on this runway out in the water. It was the weirdest setup I ever saw. As I walked around the city, I noticed scaffolding that was made out of bamboo and tied together. I thought to myself there would be no way I would be climbing that scaffold.

the place grows on ya slowly - I lived in the sticks so if I wanted entertainment had to travel back to the fancy night lights of Tsim Sha Tsui or cross the harbour to the island of HK.But i would always stand on the open high rise car park at midnight say in TST after a night out with the lads and look across at that amazing scene of "lit up HK" where the lights don't go out until dawn. Singapore never had the same feel - it was smaller and more glitzy imo!! that moment silently looking over to HK island lit up was magic - and I was often the last car in the high rise car park. Well a lad's gotta have some fun occasionally!

https://smartcdn.gprod.postmedia.di...trip=all&type=webp&sig=RJhGnfHLieUq781A6A2lgA

All the top senior nursing staff in our adjoining General Hospital - [ Máhgāliht Yīyún] were Gweipos { female foreign devils} I and the family were introduced to them on first arrival. These were the 'old guards' of the once majestic British Empire, all coming up for retirement and would be replaced by local Chinese staff. In one way it was sad to see that change but ??????????????

The Matron, we became quite sociable with - she lived in a private very large flat across from the hospital with her live in Ahmah; whilst her team of Nursing Officers lived in less salubrious flats on the hospital grounds. She offered me the chance to buy her well kept and service jaguar saloon, as she drew near retirement - I always regretted being unable to, due to lack of funds at the time. All of these 'ladies' kept a [motherly/sistely] watch over us. They were the last of the 'old guards of nursing' bemoaning better days when they were younger in the more traditional British Colony were might was right!!!

Princess_Margaret_Hospital_202101.jpg

we lived on the top of one of those - great views across part of HK harbour every morning. The reality of everyday living in this enviroment was that the majesty of it all faded away and it just became part of everyday living. You got on with the "dross" of life.

One of the first tasks was to ask a chinese colleague for a good shop to buy a full stereo unit [ turntable/ double tape recorder / speakers / headphones] etc. Most chinese have their own favourite shops often with a cousin or other working there. So off i went one sunny saturday morn - selected the items which were then all delivered free at an appointed time.

HK then as probably still operates at a frenetic rate day and night ; but it operates like a well oiled clock that never misses a second and keeps going - usually . There were exceptions like full scale typhoon alerts when it seemed to almost close down completely except for crazed foreign tourists wandering about and getting damaged with flying debris!!

Last edited:
remember Tiananmen Square??
Yep, at the time I was living next door to a Chinese history professor. He had just returned from a China trip and we struck up a conversation in the driveway. I asked him what he thought would happen with the ongoing Tiananmen Square protests and things. He said he was sure there would be no going back, the Communists were through and would not resist the protests.

Then I went into the house, turned on the news and discovered how wrong he was... we never spoke of it again.

Yes a human tragedy as were many of the killings that must have happened during the reign of the great British Empire days and those occuring in Myanmar today and in Syria and Iran etc ? Often when the youth become inspired with dreams of angels we seem to drag them down to the level of our selfish needs?

Star Ferry....TST (Tsim Sha Tsui)....bamboo scaffolding....Kai Tak Airport and its improbable runway and even more improbable landing approach path just above the rooftops....Oh Wow! I can just see it all now.
My family moved to Hong Kong in 1958 when I was 5 years old and we stayed there for 9 years. We lived in Kowloon Tong and I went to Kowloon Junior School and King George V School.
It's the only place I'll ever consider my home town. Hong Kong is in my blood and I'm still in regular contact with other old TCK's (third culture kids) who were born and raised outside their own nations, like I was and HK is in their blood too. They....we....live in 8 different countries and 4 continents now.
Thank you davey for starting this thread.

Cheers gweilo! -yea I still have old super 8 film reels and then put them on VHS and now trying to get the laddie to put them on cd! My own family didn't have the same fevour once we left and moaned and groaned when Da got out the 'HK films" again! There are some interesting HK threads on facebook and one about abandoned ruins/rich businessmen's homes ; catholic convents etc. abandoned villages in the NT's - the number of rich men's dreams that were built and abandoned sometimes with expensive cars gathering dust is amazing. Obviously 'doing a runner' before the Chinese took over again?? I still have many chinese friends in HK but they will never discuss politics!

the chinese that I knew and worked with also never did like gossiping like the brits do .............or flirting like they do too. so we all moved into our routines .................kids at new schools ,,,,,,,how exciting .....................me teaching every day including sat morns till lunch...............and the missus ........................swanning around everywhere ............with the other girls [women from local ??? housing estate - well flats really!]..........sometimes tennis or squash and other times browsing the clothing factories and furniture stalls....................then some cooking later. Everything seemed to fit into place................and started blossoming from there.

Coming up soon - the bars and pubs of Tsim Sha Tsui [ damn mispelt that three times - can never get it right!]. - Yes the women did go sometimes!

As I was the only one working full time and a half [we had an amah who came and cleaned - how exhorbitant! - but it was quite the norm for the filthy rich!] I needed a pressure release mechanism each week apart from evening meals and TV!! - partying midweek was never an option had to be squeaky clean for student teaching and learning. So my mechanism became Friday night ; sailing on Saturdays in harbour races and sunday barbecues with the family groups - which could meaning hiring a full sized junk for the day or motorized versions or whatever. One long holiday weekend I took the family to Lantau island used a colleagues cottage and took some friends of the kids too. I have it all on film and old dvd but son hasn't transfered to Cd's yet?

Lantau of course in the '80's was quiet; peaceful and not easily accessible. We climbed up to the Buddha which was only recently erected or being erected ?? and visited the monks for lunch!

lantau island.jpg

My HK friends sometimes tell me "HK is still the same and then again not"? -but the food is still excellent ; the members clubs still comfortable and private ; and as long as you mind your P's and Q's you are OK? One of the grown kids I knew posts his videos and pics regularly on FB and travels into mainland China easily but he is half Chinese and half Ozzie?

it used to be a golden calf or whatever and they will be happy if it becomes so again!!

but the one thing about HK is something that never stays the same ; and that is most aspects of HK life ; constantly changing - good quality hotels have been pulled down just because they were become less fashionable and building new ones in their places provided business opportunities and constant work for the Chinese working popn.

In Hong Kong, two types of bamboo are used in most scaffolding: Kao Jue (pole bamboo) and Mao Jue (hair bamboo). Mao Jue is thicker and stronger, about 75mm in diameter, with walls at least 10mm thick.11 Sept 2022

scaffolding of HK.jpg

As we moved into our flat on campus they were still building more high rise close by which did spoil the view!! but the recentless pace continues none stop

Back