Low water pressure in hot water tap of kitchen sink

When I turned on the hot water in the kitchen sink this morning, it ran okay for a few seconds, then then was a faint thump and the flow dropped to a trickle. The cold water pressure is okay. Hot water pressure in the bathroom sink is okay. No leaks in the kitchen that I can determine. What is the likely cause?

When I turned on the hot water in the kitchen sink this morning, it ran okay for a few seconds, then then was a faint thump and the flow dropped to a trickle. The cold water pressure is okay. Hot water pressure in the bathroom sink is okay. No leaks in the kitchen that I can determine. What is the likely cause?
Lime and calcium deposits more than likely unscrew the aerator at the spout then see if your flow improves if it does then you can clean that one or replace it for about ten dollars.

Considering you say you have full hot water pressure at other faucets I'd rule out the hot water tank. Hot water tanks don't pressurize your water, they just make it hot. I assume you have a single faucet in the kitchen correct? If yes and cold water setting has full pressure that rules out aerator/screen being clogged.

That moves us to the ball valve in the faucet, something is obstructing the flow of only the hot water, possibly a chunk of corrosion or a seal/o-ring tore and is blocking the office.

That's where I would start, right at the faucet.

Edit....I saw you said you don't have a hot water heater. Do you have one of the instant hot water gadgets under the sink?

My hot water comes right off the furnace. There are separate handles for the hot and cold water in the sink.
I'd say there is a 100% chance that the other rick or c50's suggestions are the answer. Try checking the aerator by unscrewing the end of the faucet to make sure that's not the clogged and then move on to call the plumber to replace the mixing cartridge in the faucet or replace the faucet entirely.

If it's a quality faucet AND a mixing cartridge or parts for the cartridge are available that would be the cheaper than replacing the entire faucet.

againstthegrain...she has one faucet and therefore one aerator. She indicates cold water if fine, it is just the hot water that is a problem. Therefore, the aerator or facet are not the problem. It has to be something in the hot water handle or the flow of hot water into that valve.

If it was the aerator, it would also affect the cold water, which it doesn't. This was a replacement faucet from the one that was there when I moved in which was a single handle. It slightly less that 2 years since it was installed.
You can’t get hot water without some type of hot water tank. They might be ‘on demand ‘ hot water tanks but they still are hot water tanks.

againstthegrain...she has one faucet and therefore one aerator. She indicates cold water if fine, it is just the hot water that is a problem. Therefore, the aerator or facet are not the problem. It has to be something in the hot water handle or the flow of hot water into that valve.
Yeah as indicated above the aerator is not the issue, but it's a simple thing to check and it needs periodic inspection and cleaning anyway.

I don't agree that the "facet" is not the issue since the mixing valve or cartridge is inside the faucet. Until I see a picture indicating otherwise the handles are part of the faucet. Seeing how the faucet is only 2 years old one and it's having issues it's likely a cheaper, big box item that are prone to early failure. The HW supply doesn't degrade completely over night, but rubber o-rings can disintegrate and plug up the works quickly.

Under your sink, where the water comes into your faucets, do you have valves that can be opened or closed on the hot line and cold line?

Long ago I had a water line break that was between the bathroom sink faucet and the inside intake from my hot water heater.

My plumber showed up at 4 AM to fix it- and he installed a valve on both sink intakes, and then a few days later he put valves on the intakes to my toilet, washer, and under my kitchen sink.

I then had a problem like yours a few years ago but it was because something I had put under the sink had pushed the valve to close a little and I was able to open the valve again.

I don't know, but I have hot water in the summer. Maybe one of the handypeople here can answer that. Here's a pic of the furnace:

View attachment 341080
The furnace runs all summer to supply HW. There are more modern solutions to heating water available, but the HW coil inside the furnace is the lowest cost. Other methods are more efficient and offer a more consistent supply of HW but require more equipment to begin with.

Back