The Starch Solution for losing weight.

I’ve got a question for @Happyflowerlady

For years now I’ve been using extra virgin olive oil. I use it to cook my potatoes in the air fryer. This doctor says not to eat any olive oil or corn oil. I’m only on page 300 of 1800 pages so haven’t discovered what oil he recommends. Do you know? I’m disappointed cause I really love olive oil.

No rush. I think I’m going to like this diet.
My man cooked maple glazed ham with scallop potatoes today. The smell is intoxicatingly good. The great thing is that I’m reading this book . I’ve wanted to become vegan for a long time now. I’m finally going to.

I’ve also quit using cannabis and my sneezing has instantly stopped. I’d sneeze while using it. I guess that was my body’s way of telling me it doesn’t like me using it.

Last edited:
I thicken tomato based soups with refried beans. My own invention... and it's a good one! Can't taste the beans but it really improves a thin broth.
You know, I put white beans in a smoothie sometimes. Same thing, can't taste them and they thicken it up.

@Happyflowerlady . Your journey is interesting. I say whatever works is a good plan! Thanks for posting it.

Dr. McDougall is actually against any kind of oil, because he says it is all too processed. He says to get your oil from eating real foods , like olives, avocados, and nuts, which all have a naturally high oil content.
However, the other doctors who warn against the processed oils think that olive oil is fine, and also coconut oil. These oils can literally be pressed out of the plant without heat or other chemical processing. Peanut oil can be pressed out , too, but I think that they do heat process that when making peanut oil for cooking.
All of the seed oils, like canola, corn oil, and any other that they sell have been processed with high heat, bleaches , and then chemically treated.
If you are going to use an oil, find one that says virgin, and cold-pressed. I use olive oil for salads and coconut oil for cooking.

You know, I put white beans in a smoothie sometimes. Same thing, can't taste them and they thicken it up.

@Happyflowerlady . Your journey is interesting. I say whatever works is a good plan! Thanks for posting it.
It is amazing what you can do with beans or other legumes. I make fiber cake, and I add lentils to that. I soak a cup of lentils overnight, and before adding them to the cake mix, I rinse them good and put them in the blender with the yogurt, eggs, and whatever fruit and veggies I am putting into the fiber cake. You can smell the raw lentils; but once you make the cake, you can’t even tell they are in there; but they add a lot of good fiber and protein to the fiber cake.
When I am making chocolate fiber cake, I sometimes even add a good handful of raw spinach into the blender, and you can‘t taste that in the cake either.
My husband does not eat much fiber, and this is how I add more fiber to his diet, and he loves it.

Last edited:
Dr. McDougall is actually against any kind of oil, because he says it is all too processed. He says to get your oil from eating real foods , like olives, avocados, and nuts, which all have a naturally high oil content.
However, the other doctors who warn against the processed oils think that olive oil is fine, and also coconut oil. These oils can literally be pressed out of the plant without heat or other chemical processing. Peanut oil can be pressed out , too, but I think that they do heat process that when making peanut oil for cooking.
All of the seed oils, like canola, corn oil, and any other that they sell have been processed with high heat, bleaches , and then chemically treated.
If you are going to use an oil, find one that says virgin, and cold-pressed. I use olive oil for salads and coconut oil for cooking.
Ok. Olive oil and coconut oil ( extra virgin ) are the only oils I eat and I probably will continue eating them. All the oils I use are cold pressed. That info I did know already.

While I like scallop potatoes, I actually like my air fried yams a lot better. Today I had my fries with a bit of French’s Dijon mustard.

Eating starchy foods is the complete opposite of what keto and other popular diets are recommending. I’m so glad you resurrected this thread. This IS a diet I can actually do.

Thanks @Happyflowerlady
Have a lovely day. 💕

@PeppermintPatty, the general thinking is to eliminate oils, or nearly so. I probably use less than a tbsp of added fats and oils a week. Our taste buds adapt very quickly.

I eat about an ounce of mixed nuts most days and often cut up a few kalamata olives to throw in my salad. Also add a tbps of ground flax seed to soup and salad just before I eat it (a great source of omega 3 acid).

@PeppermintPatty, the general thinking is to eliminate oils, or nearly so. I probably use less than a tbsp of added fats and oils a week. Our taste buds adapt very quickly.

I eat about an ounce of mixed nuts most days and often cut up a few kalamata olives to throw in my salad. Also add a tbps of ground flax seed to soup and salad just before I eat it (a great source of omega 3 acid).
Thanks Starsong
I eat a lot of olives in my salads and I eat a lot of salads. When I cook my yams in the air fryer, I might add 1/2 a tbsp. Maybe I’ll boil the yams and eat mashed yams.

I’ve got ground flax seed and use it in things I bake . I also take a capsule of Atlantic fish oil but I am getting the impression that this guy doesn’t agree with taking supplements either.

From what I've read, coconut oil is 90% saturated fat.
It’s actually 92% saturated fats but the chain of fats contain lauric acid which raises the good cholesterol. I use it mainly externally on hair, skin and nails. I use it in place of butter for baking as well …. Gingerbreads etc

Coconut oil is 92% saturated fat and therefore raises cholesterol levelssimilar to animal fats (butter, lard). However, it contains a unique type of medium chain saturated fat called lauric acid that research shows raises HDL or "good" cholesterol levels, which may lower overall heart disease risk.

That's what vodka is for. They don't thicken the smoothie but they sure do make it taste good!

Kidding aside, I went through a smoothie phase, then realized I'd rather eat my calories than drink them.
I went through a smoothie phase for about a week when I realized the smoothies were spiking my blood sugar . Plus like yourself, I’d rather eat my food than drink it. Another thing was the prep time and clean up was more than I wanted to do.

They're permitted on Dr. McDougall's Starch Solution. Are you talking about the potato reset? Speaking of which, how's that going, @Happyflowerlady?
I just finished reading the starch solution but haven’t read the menus or recipes so decided to look it up online and that’s where I saw that yams, turnips and carrots have too much fat in them. 🤷‍♀️ I couldn’t believe it. I just finished 2 yams feeling all proud of myself. Lol 😝 Thanks Starsong

I just finished reading the starch solution but haven’t read the menus or recipes so decided to look it up online and that’s where I saw that yams, turnips and carrots have too much fat in them. 🤷‍♀️ I couldn’t believe it. I just finished 2 yams feeling all proud of myself. Lol 😝 Thanks Starsong
How odd. His site's recipe pages are include plenty with sweet potatoes/yams. (In the US the terms tend to be used interchangeably.)
You searched for sweet potato - Dr. McDougall
You searched for yams - Dr. McDougall
How to Cook Potatoes for Diabetic Meals | Dr. McDougall

I just finished 2 yams feeling all proud of myself. Lol 😝 Thank
Carrots are 87% calories from carbs, 8% from protein and 5% fat;
Turnips are 85% calories from carbs, 12% from protein, and 3% fat;
Sweet potatoes are 92% calories from carbs, 7% from protein and 1% fat.
I love the Garnet sweet potatoes and endeavor to eat them as often as possible.
Sweet potatoes, carrots and turnips are all high in healthy carbohydrates and low in fat.
The percentages are shown at the lower left on this website. <--

Last edited:
Carrots are 87% calories from carbs, 8% from protein and 5% fat;
Turnips are 85% calories from carbs, 12% from protein, and 3% fat;
Sweet potatoes are 92% calories from carbs, 7% from protein and 1% fat.
I love the Garnet sweet potatoes and endeavor to eat them as often as possible.
Sweet potatoes, carrots and turnips are all high in healthy carbohydrates and low in fat.
The percentages are shown at the lower left on this website. <--
Thank you John
That’s very helpful.
Apparently Yams are different than sweet potatoes

No, yams and sweet potatoes are not the same. Yams have rough, dark brown skin that is often compared to tree bark, and their flesh is dry and starchy like a regular potato. Sweet potatoes have smooth reddish skin, softer flesh (when cooked), and a sweet flavor.

I thought I was eating yams but I think I’m eating sweet potatoes. One percent fat. Whoop tee doooo! 1%! 🤦‍♀️

I eat sweet potatoes almost daily. They are filling and probably good for my eyes. How can a vegetable, on its own, have too much fat?

Thank you John
That’s very helpful.
Apparently Yams are different than sweet potatoes

No, yams and sweet potatoes are not the same. Yams have rough, dark brown skin that is often compared to tree bark, and their flesh is dry and starchy like a regular potato. Sweet potatoes have smooth reddish skin, softer flesh (when cooked), and a sweet flavor.

I thought I was eating yams but I think I’m eating sweet potatoes. One percent fat. Whoop tee doooo! 1%! 🤦‍♀️

I eat sweet potatoes almost daily. They are filling and probably good for my eyes. How can a vegetable, on its own, have too much fat?
Most Americans (and possibly Canadians) eat garnet yams and call them sweet potatoes. At least that's my experience. I don't favor white sweet potatoes so don't buy them.

Apparently, worldwide there are numerous varieties of both sweet potatoes and yams.

Just found this:

"What Are Yams?​

True yams are native to Africa and Asia and are not widely found in the U.S. Yams have rough, brown, scaly skin, either white or purple flesh and a more starchy and dry texture compared to sweet potatoes. Not are they as sweet. Their texture and flavor are more similar to potatoes or yuca.

What Are Sweet Potatoes?​

When Columbus came to America in 1492, Native Americans were growing sweet potatoes. By the 16th century, sweet potatoes were being cultivated in the southern states, where they became a staple in the traditional cuisine. Sweet potatoes are slim and tapered with fairly thin, edible skin. They are a member of the morning glory family and are botanically classified in the genus Ipomoea batata. When you eat sweet potatoes, you are eating the root of the plant.

Most, if not all, sweet potatoes eaten in the U.S. are grown in the country, with the top-producing state being North Carolina."
https://health.usnews.com/wellness/food/articles/yams-vs-sweet-potatoes-whats-the-difference

Seems the "garnet yams" I've been eating all these year are actually sweet potatoes. I can live with that. Tomato, tomahto.

Most of us have never eaten an actual yam. When I looked at pictures, I could see that they are much larger than a sweet potato, and do not come from the same type of plant.

I have still been doing the 3 days of potatoes and 2 days of starch solution, and I have decided to also add green smoothies , to be sure that i am getting enough greens along with my potato days, and they are fine on the SS days.
Today, I am having sweet potatoes, even though the potato hack just says regular potatoes; so I am in kind of a modified SS diet right now, and I am slowly losing weight again, and feel great, so things are progressing in a good direction.

Back