The True Meaning of Life??

davey

We do realize that we really had no choice about being here. That decision was made for us by two other adults male and female. But beyond the original procreation phase - is there another meaning about being here that has yet not unfolded or are we really just a manifestation of a spermatozoa and ovum full stop. And all we need to do is get on with living the dream as some have already suggested on the forum?

The common fallacy of begging the question is when one asks a question in such a way that it already includes the answer. It is a form of illogical seduction. Just because someone asks, "What is the meaning in life," doesn't mean life has meaning, but since you asked the question you've tricked the listener into thinking that life must have some meaning, because the question implies it does.

The question is interesting, but unfortunately invalid. Those who agree that there is an answer can't universally agree on what it is. Also, for the question to be valid, it should first be proven that life has meaning. Then we could proceed in a logical orderly investigation.

"..it should first be proven that life has meaning."? Proven to whom? Some judge who has the final last word on the truth? Is there some jury or council who, having decided on the validity of the question, will now tell the rest of the world whether life has meaning or not?

There isn't a one-size-fits-all answer to the meaning of life. My view is that identifying how to lead a meaningful life is an individual's personal lifelong journey.
OK, I admit that for me it's axiomatic that life is meaningful. The alternative is meaninglessness. Anyone who buys into that opinion is entitled to that opinion.

...Just because someone asks, "What is the meaning in life," doesn't mean life has meaning...Also, for the question to be valid, it should first be proven that life has meaning.

@JustDave , and @Repondering , so your answer is "I don't know if life has meaning or not". Fair enough but doesn't allow for any discussion. Other's may want to speculate (or by faith) for discussion. Other's may find that it's much easier to have faith that there is meaning rather than no meaning. And thus the curiosity of others than yourselves will be interested in their reasons.

Personally, it would take a lot more faith for me to believe "we are are just a matter of spermatozoa and ovum full stop" than to have faith in believing there is an intelligent designer...God. "Faith comes from hearing, and hearing from the word of God" Romans 10:17

But as far as, "is there another meaning about being here that has yet not unfolded", I refer to prophecy that has been documented in history of flawless fulfillment, and prophecy that is still unfolding it's fulfillment in today's news and events, which proves there is meaning for us being here.

No fact has ever been given greater verification than the fact that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Jesus fulfilled over 300 Old Testament prophesies while He was living on this earth. What is the chance factor that one man could have fulfilled these prophecies?

"If you marked one of ten pieces of paper and dropped them in a hat, the chances that you would draw out the marked piece of paper while you were blindfolded would be 1 in 10. A consevative chance factor that one man has fulfilled 8 Old Testament prophecies is 1 in 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000. If you had this many silver dollars, you would be able to cover the entire state of Texas two feet deep. The chance that a blindfolded man, walking around Texas in these silver dollars, would pick out a marked one is the chance that one man could have fulfilled eight prophesies.

(I'm skipping more astronomical examples of proof from the number of electrons in the universe because this is SF, not enough space but I can if requested). To the same degree that we know a man could not pick out a marked electron from that astronomical mass, we know that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. He not only fulfilled 48 prophecies as documented, He fulfilled over 300.

So this is one of many powerful reason for my faith in Jesus teachings in The New Testament, where He goes into depth the meaning of life and why we are here. It's vast.

The numerical facts here are quoted from "Science Speaks" (Moody Press) 30 years ago but still relevant.

Last edited:
So, assuming that life has meaning, what might the meaning be?
My faith based answer is:
Every page in the New Testament answers what the meaning of life is but the greatest of these is Love.
Without love everything is but a clanging cymbal....I Corinthians 13

Last edited:
My faith based answer is:
Every page in the New Testament answers what the meaning of life is but the greatest these is Love.
Without love everything is but a clanging cymbal....I Corinthians 13
Mine might be that we feel emotion, therefore joy or sadness contributes to the meaning.

I don't believe that life has any real purpose or meaning. We're here and that's about the only thing we can say with certainty. However, as we are here, as Grampa Don so nicely puts it, We're each dealt a hand, and we play it as best we can. Love is just one way we can enhance our lives. Nothing spiritual about it.

Back