Weight Loss Accountability/Support Group Thread

I’ve never posted in a thread like this, anywhere. For some reason after seeing the title of the thread a number of times, on this occasion, I thought I would look in.

As I’m reading just the latter couple of pages I thought about how certain groups of words and how they are used and their context are important to me. And how some groups of words when together might not sit well with me. As I then read further I thought in hindsight probably best if I let that one go.

So here I am, not so much with advice, but maybe with a story? I’ve generally found it easy not to put on weight. Eating a lot and causing others to ask why I don’t put weight on. Maybe I was one of the lucky ones, or so I thought. Eating whatever I want, whenever I want it.

Things catch up with us though, and on occasion, our minds might not be in the best place. From my own experience, weight then starts to pile on. Interesting though, I find the same place of mind can cause weight to fall off. Causing people around me to be more concerned with that than when I put on weight.

There have been a number of occasions when I’ve felt I need to lose weight. Sometimes successful in losing it and sometimes not. On one occasion I was determined to lose weight, but it wasn’t happening. I needed something that would work for ME. I create all kinds of reports and similar at work, some contain graphs and KPI’s. I thought for me, because of how my mind works, I need a KPI, Key Performance Indicator.

Now please don’t laugh, even though I’m now smiling about it myself. :) I made a graph at home on MS Excel. The timeline itself didn’t concern me. My Goal was to lose 0.2 kg per day. (0.44 lbs). As alluded to earlier, weight can fall off me, maybe in part, it’s a metabolism thing? The graph, plan, I made would flatline at the weekends. No planned weight loss at the weekends. I was acutely aware that as I was weighing myself daily I would become very disappointed if I saw a spike in my weight, so within the graph, I created another line, a rolling 5 day average. A trend line if you like. As long as that trend was downward I would be ok. At the end of the graph was a prize should I succeed. I would buy myself a bespoke suit.

For the most part, my method was in cutting out all dairy products, never to be seen in my fridge again. Well I say that, occasionally now you might see something like that in there. The quantity of food I ate only changed slightly, but it was different. Vegetable meals and soups. These things can taste really nice depending on how cooked. I was even inspired to make my own soups. At first, they were a disaster, but in time I made some nice soups. And drinking water, oh yes, the water. Not too much though!

As for exercise, mostly walking. But walking at my usual pace. At work I do a lot of walking, it usually looks as though I’m on a mission as I walk around a huge factory. People have difficulty keeping up. I also bought a Boardman bike, mostly cycling at the weekends or after work.

I reached my weight goal; I considered my prize. I looked in my wardrobe and thought, “I have enough bloody suits, what do I want another for!”. Instead, I decided to spend the money on a large Apple iPad. I sense some of you might be thinking what’s the connection between a suit and an iPad. Well I haven’t got the faintest idea! :)

The weight has stayed off, mostly. Let’s just say it fluctuates. As for the expensive Apple iPad, that eventually gave up the ghost. Too uneconomical to repair. After much research, I now have a new iPad, a cheaper and more reliable Apple version. A lesson learned there.

When it comes to weight loss, maybe it's not advice we need? It's finding what works for us as individuals. Just doing it safely is my only advice.

Last edited:
Thank you for joining us, @Magna-Carta ! I think it's wonderful that your Excel graph worked so well for you! Actually that's fascinating to me because I know nothing at all about spreadsheets and I still keep records like I did in the dark ages... by hand on paper. (Did I just admit that?! 🙀 ) In any case, glad you're here!

Thank you for joining us, @Magna-Carta ! I think it's wonderful that your Excel graph worked so well for you! Actually that's fascinating to me because I know nothing at all about spreadsheets and I still keep records like I did in the dark ages... by hand on paper. (Did I just admit that?! 🙀 ) In any case, glad you're here!

:D There is nothing wrong with the "Dark Ages" @CallMeKate , especially when there is a power cut, and or a computer hard drive failure. Any amount of knowledge and skill with Excel then suddenly has no value. Even my backup external drive has been know to fail. Sometimes then left with the thought of, "why didn't I do it on paper", or at the very least print it off! :)

I’ve never posted in a thread like this, anywhere. For some reason after seeing the title of the thread a number of times, on this occasion, I thought I would look in.

As I’m reading just the latter couple of pages I thought about how certain groups of words and how they are used and their context are important to me. And how some groups of words when together might not sit well with me. As I then read further I thought in hindsight probably best if I let that one go.

So here I am, not so much with advice, but maybe with a story? I’ve generally found it easy not to put on weight. Eating a lot and causing others to ask why I don’t put on weight. Maybe I was one of the lucky ones, or so I thought. Eating whatever I want, whenever I want it.

Things catch up with us though, and on occasion, our minds might not be in the best place. From my own experience, weight then starts to pile on. Interesting though, I find the same place of mind can cause weight to fall off. Causing people around me to be more concerned with that than when I put on weight.

There have been a number of occasions when I’ve felt I need to lose weight. Sometimes successful in losing it and sometimes not. On one occasion I was determined to lose weight, but it wasn’t happening. I needed something that would work for ME. I create all kinds of reports and similar at work, some contain graphs and KPI’s. I thought for me, because of how my mind works, I need a KPI, Key Performance Indicator.

Now please don’t laugh, even though I’m now smiling about it myself. :) I made a graph at home on MS Excel. The timeline itself didn’t concern me. My Goal was to lose 0.2 kg per day. (0.44 lbs). As alluded to earlier, weight can fall off me, maybe in part, it’s a metabolism thing? The graph, plan, I made would flatline at the weekends. No planned weight loss at the weekends. I was acutely aware that as I was weighing myself daily I would become very disappointed if I saw a spike in my weight, so within the graph, I created another line, a rolling 5 day average. A trend line if you like. As long as that trend was downward I would be ok. At the end of the graph was a prize should I succeed. I would buy myself a bespoke suit.

For the most part, my method was in cutting out all dairy products, never to be seen in my fridge again. Well I say that, occasionally now you might see something like that in there. The quantity of food I ate only changed slightly, but it was different. Vegetable meals and soups. These things can taste really nice depending on how cooked. I was even inspired to make my own soups. At first, they were a disaster, but in time I made some nice soups. And drinking water, oh yes, the water. Not too much though.

As for exercise, mostly walking. But walking at my usual pace. At work I do a lot of walking, it usually looks as though I’m on a mission as I walk around a huge factory. People have difficulty keeping up. I also bought a Boardman bike, mostly cycling at the weekends or after work.

I reached my weight goal; I considered my prize. I looked in my wardrobe and thought, “I have enough bloody suits, what do I want another for!”. Instead, I decided to spend the money on a large Apple iPad. I sense some of you might be thinking what’s the connection between a suit and an iPad. Well I haven’t got the faintest idea! :)

The weight has stayed off, mostly. Let’s just say it fluctuates. As for the expensive Apple iPad, that eventually gave up the ghost. Too uneconomical to repair. After much research, I now have a new iPad, a cheaper and more reliable Apple version. A lesson learned there.

When it comes to weight loss, maybe it's not advice we need? It's finding what works for us as individuals. Just doing it safely is my only advice.
Good story and yes, I was chuckling at the use of KPIs! Never thought I'd see good use for those! Good job, very sensible.

Good story and yes, I was chuckling at the use of KPIs! Never thought I'd see good use for those! Good job, very sensible.

Yeeeah...? I think I know what you mean. It seems I have a wall at work full of them. Mainly of what other people want to see and want me to make. Some get forgotten about. You could draw cartoons on them and they might not be noticed, but that's another story.

There are just a select few that mean something to me.

Today was a good enough day. I woke up feeling bad so did not go to the gym. But now I am fine, so back to the gym tomorrow. I ate well.

Good news, I ate the first 2 peaches from our orchard today. More to come... hopefully lots more.
@Alligatorob, , you don’t do things 1/2 way either I see. You’ve taken this challenge by the horns.
I'm trying... guess I am not good at moderation.
Glad you did, you'd be a welcome addition.
I’ve generally found it easy not to put on weight. Eating a lot and causing others to ask why I don’t put weight on. Maybe I was one of the lucky ones, or so I thought. Eating whatever I want, whenever I want it.
You are one of the lucky ones, but if this will help you welcome. I always thought KPI was knots per inch. Its a way to measure Persian carpets.
Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal _ MyFitnessPal.jpg

You are one of the lucky ones, but if this will help you welcome. I always thought KPI was knots per inch. Its a way to measure Persian carpets.

How interesting, I never knew that. I might put Knots Per Inch as the main heading on some display and meeting boards of mine.

Good news, I ate the first 2 peaches from our orchard today. More to come... hopefully lots more.
Oh, lucky you! I get so hungry for fresh peaches... like they used to be. I remember the sweetness of a peach when I was a little girl and I had plenty of them when I was helping my grandma preserve them (well, I needed *some* kind of incentive!) :giggle: The things supermarkets sell as peaches now are pathetic. At least the farmers markets will soon be putting them out. 🍑🍑🍑

Oh, lucky you! I get so hungry for fresh peaches... like they used to be. I remember the sweetness of a peach when I was a little girl and I had plenty of them when I was helping my grandma preserve them (well, I needed *some* kind of incentive!) :giggle: The things supermarkets sell as peaches now are pathetic. At least the farmers markets will soon be putting them out. 🍑🍑🍑
We are lucky, we have 104 peach trees. A farmer takes care of them, and sells most. However our "rent" includes all we can eat. We have 7 varieties from early to late ripening so we get them for about 6 weeks. The very best are those that get over ripe on the tree, when you bite into them juice runs down your face. We call them OMG peaches (oh my god). Impossible to pick and sell, they are too soft and have a very short shelf life. Our 6 weeks is just beginning!

We get way to many to put most into any kind of preserves or can. Do some of that but it doesn't put a dent in them. We give a lot away, that's surprisingly easy. I have made peach wine, not too bad. This year I am going to try making peach brandy, already made some apricot brandy, from our one apricot tree. It's pretty good, but very high alcohol, have to be careful. Always do my best not to let any go to waste.

With all the talk about pricey lettuce and making sure to wash it, I purchased some ‘live leaf lettuce’ ( still washed it ) , some peaches and some more Gouda cheese and made a delicious salad today. I did forget the avocado but I’ll add it tomorrow.

Today I had roasted red pepper soup and fresh garden salad with, tomatoes, coloured peppered, coloured radishes, carrots, shallots, cucumber, hot peppers and cubed Gouda cheese , a handful of trail mix and honey Dijon dressing.

IMG_1271.jpeg

And with all this talk about peaches I had to get some so this is my dessert.

IMG_1273.jpeg

Instead of my 3 to 4 mile walk, I did one mile on my treadmill and 30 minutes of yoga.

I finally brought my DVD player into my room and did it there and it was great. I’m actually surprised I can still do it.

I also brought the rest of my hand weights up so I can increase my weight lifting. It’s not heavy duty weight lifting 🏋️‍♀️ but it’s a start.

Today was a great day.

Ugh. My daughter just shared something with me that is one of my downfalls... cotton candy. In my own defense :cautious: 🤷‍♀️ I measured it out carefully and just had 210 calories of it, but I'm still going to skip dinner. I'm learning that I tend to "punish" myself when I mess up. I would still have 300 kcal left for the day, but I'm going to try to get to morning without anything else. Spun sugar... when I mess up, I do it royally, eh? 🙀

Last edited:
Good morning, everyone! I did it... I made it to morning without eating anything after that sugar "episode." Whew... binge averted. (y)

I just started my day with a healthy breakfast, so back on track. I had one slice of avocado 🥑 toast (I only use 1/4 of the avocado), half a banana 🍌, and coffee, always black. :coffee:

I weighed 195 this morning... yesterday was not so good, I over ate and only got about an hour in at the gym. My plan was to stay 3+ hours at the gym, but I started feeling weak after the cycling class and left. Will try again today...
With all the talk about pricey lettuce and making sure to wash it, I purchased some ‘live leaf lettuce’ ( still washed it )
Saw a documentary about food poisoning. Seems lettuce is the biggest offender, so do wash it well.

Great picture, your salad and peach look really good!
Today was a great day.
Good for you, glad to hear it!
Good morning, everyone! I did it... I made it to morning without eating anything after that sugar "episode." Whew... binge averted. (y)

I just started my day with a healthy breakfast, so back on track. I had one slice of avocado 🥑 toast (I only use 1/4 of the avocado), half a banana 🍌, and coffee, always black. :coffee:
Good for you Kate! Averting the binge is always a success, wish I could say the same...
I’ve been eating incredibly well for a while now without cheating.
Happy to hear it, now I have to try and match you!

Good for you Kate! Averting the binge is always a success, wish I could say the same...
Thanks, Rob... it sure wasn't easy and I hated sharing that blunder yesterday (cotton candy of all things... why couldn't I go off-plan with too much fruit or something? Okay, not likely.) 🤭
I'm glad to hear that you knew when to stop at the gym yesterday. Very good choice!

I know that feeling, but it is the best thing to do. Accountability means reporting the good and the not so good. Reporting only successful days is easy, but not a lot of help...
Absolutely... and I made sure to write that in post #1 so that anyone coming in would know it and not shy away. This weekend I'm going out of town. I already know you'll be seeing a lot of :cry::cry: 's... but that's okay, too!

The one place I have a meeting has THE best peach pie ever. I am NOT planning to resist. :oops:

Yeah the point of accountability with others is to become more transparent to ourselves. Bias preservation is so natural for we mortals that efforts like this are needed.
Exactly! And this group is seriously helping me with that... I need to know that there's a place I "have to" report to because it helps me to get myself back on track and that's especially vital when I mess up.

We are lucky, we have 104 peach trees. A farmer takes care of them, and sells most. However our "rent" includes all we can eat. We have 7 varieties from early to late ripening so we get them for about 6 weeks. The very best are those that get over ripe on the tree, when you bite into them juice runs down your face. We call them OMG peaches (oh my god). Impossible to pick and sell, they are too soft and have a very short shelf life. Our 6 weeks is just beginning!

We get way to many to put most into any kind of preserves or can. Do some of that but it doesn't put a dent in them. We give a lot away, that's surprisingly easy. I have made peach wine, not too bad. This year I am going to try making peach brandy, already made some apricot brandy, from our one apricot tree. It's pretty good, but very high alcohol, have to be careful. Always do my best not to let any go to waste.

Anyone with an orchard full of ripe peaches six weeks in the year is truly a wealthy man. Sounds like a great arrangement with that farmer too.

My exercise bike arrived today, and my husband put it together for me.
I really like it !
My legs are definitely NOT in shape for this exercise, and I took several breaks as I was riding it today for the first time. I rode for 20 minutes, went about 3.5 miles, so overall not bad.
I have the setting at level 2, which is almost as low as it goes. Level 1 has no resistance at all, and I will stay at level 2 until I can ride at least a half hour all on one try, and not have my legs all turned to jelly afterwards.

We didn’t swim today, because more thunderstorms, plus we did not want to miss the UPS man when he brought the exercise bike. My goal is to be able to ride long enough and get a 3-wheeler adult trike and be able to ride on the roads around our neighborhood , with my dog, Marco Poodle in the basket.
I am thinking that if I practice this winter, by spring, i should be toned up enough to try riding a real bike/trike.

IMG_5352.jpegIMG_5350.jpeg

Today was a better day, ate well, exercised and feel good tonight. Back on track, ~3 hours in the gym, and I'm feeling better.
This weekend I'm going out of town. I already know you'll be seeing a lot of :cry::cry: 's... but that's okay, too!

The one place I have a meeting has THE best peach pie ever. I am NOT planning to resist
I think you'll be fine, and enjoy that peach pie lady!!
Exactly! And this group is seriously helping me with that... I need to know that there's a place I "have to" report to because it helps me to get myself back on track and that's especially vital when I mess up.
I feel the same!
Anyone with an orchard full of ripe peaches six weeks in the year is truly a wealthy man. Sounds like a great arrangement with that farmer too.
Thanks Mark, it is nice. I live in what was Utah's Fruit Zone, lots of big orchards, peaches, cherries, apples, apricots, etc. Unfortunately its slowly changing into the northmost bedroom community of the Salt Lake Valley. Too many of the orchards have become McMansions on 1/4 acre lots. We are just a remnant of what was. The farmer we use takes care of peaches on the local remnants, about 2,000 trees in all. Only 104 of those are ours. We still have a number of good fruit stands, but more and more they are having to import the fruit.Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal _ MyFitnessPal.jpg

My exercise bike arrived today, and my husband put it together for me.
I really like it !
My legs are definitely NOT in shape for this exercise, and I took several breaks as I was riding it today for the first time. I rode for 20 minutes, went about 3.5 miles, so overall not bad.
I have the setting at level 2, which is almost as low as it goes. Level 1 has no resistance at all, and I will stay at level 2 until I can ride at least a half hour all on one try, and not have my legs all turned to jelly afterwards.
Oh, both of those bikes are wonderful, @Happyflowerlady ! I really need to find space so we can have one... we've been talking about it for years because we only have a treadmill now, but space is an issue. Anyhow, I think 20 minutes and 3.5 miles is awesome for your "first ride!"

If you're able to get the other bike at some point, I'm thinking Marco Poodle (great name!) would love being chauffeured around the neighborhood. ☺️

Today was a better day, ate well, exercised and feel good tonight. Back on track, ~3 hours in the gym, and I'm feeling better.
I think you'll be fine, and enjoy that peach pie lady!
I'm glad to hear you're back on track and had a successful day. I'm planning to watch what I eat closely for the next couple of days to kind of offset the traveling food this weekend. I always try to choose the best things from menus, but there usually aren't a lot of good choices. (Peach Pie in a town that's having a peach festival exempt. 🤭)

I just had a croissant with coffee for breakfast... lunch will be vegetable soup, and for dinner I'm planning a meatloaf made with lean ground beef.

Back