When was the last time you visited a zoo?

Bretrick

Many Zoos are now a place to breed endangered Native Animals.
Perth Zoo has bred and released into the wild over 4,000 endangered Native Animals.
Including
Numbats

Also known as the banded anteater, is a marsupial native to Western Australia. Its diet consists almost exclusively of termites.
The Numbat is an emblem of Western Australia
Unlike most other marsupials, the Numbat is diurnal. (Only active during the day).
With less than 1000 left in the wild an intensive breeding program started in the 80s has brought them back from near extinction.
Dibblers
One of the Worlds rarest Mammals

This attractive little Western Australian marsupial is one of the world’s rarest mammals, thought extinct until a chance rediscovery.
The Dibbler was once found in near-coastal areas across the south-west corner of Australia, from Shark Bay south-east to Esperance.
Much of the Dibbler’s original range was cleared for farming early in the European settlement of Western Australia and the remaining areas (too rugged or nutrient-poor farming) are susceptible to wildfires which wipe out the resident population/s of small animals.
Foxes, cats, rats and other introduced predators and competitors also threaten the Dibbler’s survival.
Perth Zoo has released over 900 Dibblers into the wild
Western Ground Parrot

There is approximately only 150 of these beauties left in the wild.
Perth Zoo has a breeding program to boost the numbers of these birds.
They are released onto introduced predator free Islands off the coast of Western Australia
Chuditch (Western Quoll)

Litter of Quoll Pups

Quolls are indigenous to mainland Australia, New Guinea, and Tasmania.
The six species were once widely distributed across the three land masses, but are now restricted to only a few areas.
Although primarily ground-dwelling, the genus has developed secondary arboreal characteristics. (they climb trees)
Quolls are carnivorous marsupials.
They are primarily nocturnal, sleeping in hollowed-out logs or rocky dens and coming out to hunt during the night, though on rare occasions they can be seen looking for prey during the day.
Koala

Koalas are becoming threatened Australia wide.
Although Western Australia does not have Koalas, Only the Eastern States have endemic Koalas.
One of the latest Bred Koalas has made his debut.
Boondi, the male joey was born to mum Mia and dad, Slater around nine months.
Peek a Boo, I see you.

Last edited:
Many Zoos are now a place to breed endangered Native Animals.
Perth Zoo has bred and released into the wild over 4,000 endangered Native Animals.
Including
Numbats

Also known as the banded anteater, is a marsupial native to Western Australia. Its diet consists almost exclusively of termites.
The Numbat is an emblem of Western Australia
Unlike most other marsupials, the Numbat is diurnal. (Only active during the day).
With less than 1000 left in the wild an intensive breeding program started in the 80s has brought them back from near extinction.
Dibblers
One of the Worlds rarest Mammals

This attractive little Western Australian marsupial is one of the world’s rarest mammals, thought extinct until a chance rediscovery.
The Dibbler was once found in near-coastal areas across the south-west corner of Australia, from Shark Bay south-east to Esperance.
Much of the Dibbler’s original range was cleared for farming early in the European settlement of Western Australia and the remaining areas (too rugged or nutrient-poor farming) are susceptible to wildfires which wipe out the resident population/s of small animals.
Foxes, cats, rats and other introduced predators and competitors also threaten the Dibbler’s survival.
Perth Zoo has released over 900 Dibblers into the wild
Western Ground Parrot

There is approximately only 150 of these beauties left in the wild.
Perth Zoo has a breeding program to boost the numbers of these birds.
They are released onto introduced predator free Islands off the coast of Western Australia
Chuditch (Western Quoll)

Litter of Quoll Pups

Quolls are indigenous to mainland Australia, New Guinea, and Tasmania.
The six species were once widely distributed across the three land masses, but are now restricted to only a few areas.
Although primarily ground-dwelling, the genus has developed secondary arboreal characteristics. (they climb trees)
Quolls are carnivorous marsupials.
They are primarily nocturnal, sleeping in hollowed-out logs or rocky dens and coming out to hunt during the night, though on rare occasions they can be seen looking for prey during the day.
Koala

Koalas are becoming threatened Australia wide.
Although Western Australia does not have Koalas, Only the Eastern States have endemic Koalas.
One of the latest Bred Koalas has made his debut.
Boondi, the male joey was born to mum Mia and dad, Slater around nine months.
Peek a Boo, I see you.
Great photos and information! We went to the zoo last May. Love going to it!

Actually you are right. The Toronto metropolitan zoo treats their animals very well. All the animals seem to have ample space to roam. Many of the animals are in there due to injuries or other reason. Zoos have come a long way from what they used to be
I have been to all 4 major Ohio city zoos, Columbus, Cleveland, Toledo and Cincinnati. The Toledo zoo had very beautiful landscape architecture.

I have been to a small zoo with my grandchild last year. It was super-small and kind of a disappointment. Really a zoo meant for the littlest kids because they aren't expecting to see a lot and it's small, so they can see the whole thing in a couple of hours.

I'd really love to go to the Big Zoo with him sometime, but I don't think my daughter wants to put up with the two of us. 👨‍🦽👦 For me, for a Big Zoo, I'm going to have to rent one of their scooters. At one point in my life that seemed so embarrassing, but the back does what the back does and I don't see any miracle cures for me on the horizon. Not for my condition. Every story I ever read about back surgeries has about a 50% success rate. Not great odds, IMO.

Oh to be young and never need to sit down for hours and hours! And sitting down is nothing to be ashamed of, but the Big Zoo is in a very young town.

Like, if you went to a Florida zoo you might see many grandparents there. But the demographics of the nearest Big Zoo do not favor the old.

I take the Littles to the Tampa Zoo frequently, as we have a reasonably-priced family membership there and parking is free. There is so much to do there..... the animals, a few kiddie rides including a "flume ride" on which you're guaranteed to get wet (very popular with the Littles and refreshing on a hot Florida day), a play structure and a "splash pad". There's a historic carousel, too.

Food there is not unreasonably priced or you can pack a cooler in your car, leave the park to picnic in the shady picnic area and then go back into the park.

They have special events that they really go out on....Halloween, Christmas, etc., and admission to those are covered by the membership. We never miss a special event.

It's not a "major" zoo but it has enough animals to keep the kids interested....giraffes, elephants, zebras, monkeys, bears, etc. There is also an aquarium section that has manatees (injured ones that can't be released into the wild again), otters (always a big hit) and fish. Wild cats and a wolf enclosure.

It's the best $250 I've ever spent. We've had eight months of fun out of it and when the membership is up, I'll renew again. Besides the four family members we can get in, we can bring in two guests.

1990 was the last time I went to the zoo. It was the second date my husband took me on. We must have walked about 10 miles minimum. Thinking back on it, it was a wonderful date. We both had such a good time.
I have been to all 4 major Ohio city zoos, Columbus, Cleveland, Toledo and Cincinnati. The Toledo zoo had very beautiful landscape architecture.
Which zoo did you like best and why?

Which zoo did you like best and why?
Out of the 4, the Toledo Zoo. If I remember right, at the entrance, it had a marker that said it was ranked as one of the best in the Country. Designed in a beautiful concourse type landscape.

I have also been to the St. Louis zoo, the Indianapolis zoo, Pittsburgh zoo, Philadelphia zoo and the National Zoo. I love the animals. :)

Back