Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Bananas

When I lived on the Big Island (Hawaii) I did grow my own bananas. They were called Apple Bananas, were a little smaller than what you get at the grocery store, and were supposedly sweeter. I couldn't tell the difference.

Only problem was that they all turned ripe at the same time. One old man can't keep up, so I set them on a table by the street, with a "free" sign and they would be gone that day.

What Gas Do They Use To Ripen Bananas?
iu

"Bananas are a popular fruit that can easily be found in stores, already ripened and ready to be enjoyed. But how do producers get them to such a perfect state of ripeness? The answer lies in the gas ethylene."

"This naturally occurring plant hormone helps regulate growth, ripening, and other processes in plants. Ethylene is a colorless and odorless gas, produced naturally by fruits like apples, pears, and of course, bananas."

"When harvested, unripe bananas are exposed to ethylene gas in a ripening facility, which helps turn them yellow and make them soft. This process is carefully monitored to guarantee that the bananas are safe to eat and of the highest quality."

"By using ethylene, producers can make sure that their bananas are ripe and ready to eat when they reach the shelves."

Last edited:

Back