How is your day Today, plans and achievements 2024....

Everything was OK till breakfast when the coffee filter machine wouldn't work. It was a pretty poor machine anyway, but no morning coffee.
We got into the car and drove to town where there were 5 shops where we could look for a replacement. NO chance. there were shelves stacked with kettles, air fryers, 1 cup coffee 'pod' machines, food processors etc. etc. but NO coffee filter machines anywhere. Looks like we will have to get one mail order.

I took the old machine apart and found that the overheat fuse had blown. I've found this on previous machines and I think they just wear out - or maybe they are designed to fail so that you need a new machine? Anyway, a few mods and the machine is working, but I won't leave it unattended till we get a new one.

Hi, kids. I've been home for a couple of hours. Did some gardenkeeping...like housekeeping but outside...and sat around on my dead center. While I was gardenkeeping, I fell down and broke my glasses. No great loss because I hated those things. I'd kept the old glasses so have a pair to wear. There was precious little change in the prescription, and I'd only bought the ones that broke because insurance was paying for them. Sort of. A story for another day. The moral of this story is, um, something.

Stupid thing is that DD and DGD were both in the kitchen. There's a window over the kitchen sink. The place where I fell is about six feet away from that window. Neither of them saw me! I was lying there in the flower bed, shrieking in pain, and they not only didn't see me, they didn't even hear me. See? I'm invisible.

Not to worry, the pain was momentary. All gone now.

In the kitchen. They were in the kitchen! You have no idea how rare that is in this household unless they're in the kitchen to visit the fridge or the microwave. DGD was making cookies to take to a new neighbor's get together later today. It's Cinco de Mayo; new neighbors are Latino and moved here from Michigan. Being a native Michigander (and a Yooper). I want to meet the neighbors (DD already has), but food...I'm going for the food if I can stay awake long enough.

Did you know that Cinco de Mayo is a holiday in the US? Yup. George W. Bush made it a national holiday in 2005. In Mexico? Cinco de Mayo is not a federal holiday. Nope. Some people think it's Mexican Independence day, but it isn't. That's in September. It's a celebration of the day that Mexico vanquished the French at the (first) Battle of Puebla. Fat lot of good it did, because the French won the war and sent Emperor Maxmillian to run the country for the next five years.

I'm done blathering.

I'm impressed with your fix-it skills, @Capt Lightning, and hope your coffee machine stays alive at least until a replacement arrives.

We had an unexpected light sprinkle overnight, but there's no more in the forecast. A comfortable 67° today, then warming up a into the 70s throughout the next 14 days. Spring in So Cal brings me personal Goldilocks weather - not too hot, not too cold, just right.

It's 10:15 AM and I've been languishing in front of my computer long enough. Gotta get some things done.

To be fair, @Georgiagranny, Cinco de Mayo is a holiday in the US rather like St. Patrick's Day is a holiday. Some cities host parades and other celebrations, but it doesn't have the status of national holidays like July 4th or Memorial Day where people get a paid day off. George W (from Texas) celebrated Cinco de Mayo to honor Mexican-American culture.

Why is it celebrated more widely in the US than Mexico? According to this article:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/made-by-history/2023/05/05/cinco-de-mayo-civil-war/

"The victory at Puebla was mostly symbolic for Mexicans. It represented their commitment to republicanism and nurtured a sense of patriotic union. But for Latinos in California, the victory at Puebla represented much more.

As scholar David Hayes-Bautista has shown, Latinos in California almost immediately understood the significance of this victory as part of a shared, broadly American struggle for democracy and liberty — one that could even help raise morale in the Union fight against the Confederacy. If a downtrodden Mexico could defeat an imperial army, then there was hope for the Union to throw off the tyrannical rule of slavery in the South.

And it was more than symbolic. The French defeat at Puebla was a significant blow for the Confederacy, which was hoping for a quick French victory and the support of a French-controlled Mexico. For Latinos, this could have tangible consequences. If the Confederacy triumphed or if California became a slave state, would Latinos be deprived of their U.S. citizenship?

And so, Latinos in California, Nevada and Oregon celebrated, using Cinco de Mayo as a rallying cry for the formation of juntas patrióticas mexicanas (Mexican patriotic assemblies). In the 1860s, the juntas funneled money, political support and even volunteer army recruits toward defending freedom and democracy from the Confederacy in the United States and from French invaders and imperialists in Mexico.
"

Hi, kids. I've been home for a couple of hours. Did some gardenkeeping...like housekeeping but outside...and sat around on my dead center. While I was gardenkeeping, I fell down and broke my glasses. No great loss because I hated those things. I'd kept the old glasses so have a pair to wear. There was precious little change in the prescription, and I'd only bought the ones that broke because insurance was paying for them. Sort of. A story for another day. The moral of this story is, um, something.

Stupid thing is that DD and DGD were both in the kitchen. There's a window over the kitchen sink. The place where I fell is about six feet away from that window. Neither of them saw me! I was lying there in the flower bed, shrieking in pain, and they not only didn't see me, they didn't even hear me. See? I'm invisible.

Not to worry, the pain was momentary. All gone now.

In the kitchen. They were in the kitchen! You have no idea how rare that is in this household unless they're in the kitchen to visit the fridge or the microwave. DGD was making cookies to take to a new neighbor's get together later today. It's Cinco de Mayo; new neighbors are Latino and moved here from Michigan. Being a native Michigander (and a Yooper). I want to meet the neighbors (DD already has), but food...I'm going for the food if I can stay awake long enough.

Did you know that Cinco de Mayo is a holiday in the US? Yup. George W. Bush made it a national holiday in 2005. In Mexico? Cinco de Mayo is not a federal holiday. Nope. Some people think it's Mexican Independence day, but it isn't. That's in September. It's a celebration of the day that Mexico vanquished the French at the (first) Battle of Puebla. Fat lot of good it did, because the French won the war and sent Emperor Maxmillian to run the country for the next five years.

I'm done blathering.
it's also soon2bex's birthday.. 64 today

I got my new lamp/shelves in situ..but OMG that oak coffee table was way heavier than I remembered. I had to drag it out of the corner , couldn't possibly lift it.. . I remembered it was heavy but of course it was estranged o/h who did all the lifting.. he's very strong, he has powerful shoulders so he always makes it look easy lifting heavy things..

Yanno how I said I fell down? Um. That hip hurts like the devil. Not like it's broken or anything, just real damn sore.

We went to the neighbors', but DD had to bring me home because it's "late" for me. She went back. Gosh, some of the old gang who still live in the subdivision were there, and it was nice to see them...outside of the bakery when they come in for 🥐 🥐! And some who didn't know I work there wanting to know why on earth I'm working at all. Because I like payday?💰🤑💲

Yanno how I said I fell down? Um. That hip hurts like the devil. Not like it's broken or anything, just real damn sore.

We went to the neighbors', but DD had to bring me home because it's "late" for me. She went back. Gosh, some of the old gang who still live in the subdivision were there, and it was nice to see them...outside of the bakery when they come in for 🥐 🥐! And some who didn't know I work there wanting to know why on earth I'm working at all. Because I like payday?💰🤑💲
Keep an eye on that hip just in case, ok?

Keep an eye on that hip just in case, ok?
I'd have to be double-jointed :ROFLMAO:. Funny thing is that the bruise is on the exact spot as the "growth" I've been complaining to my doc about for years. Years, I tell you. I figure it's just a benign cyst. At Kaiser, however, I have to make an appointment with my PCP for that specific reason, she'd give me an "appointment ticket" (read: referral) to another doc with Kaiser...so two deductibles, then another deductible for ultrasound or whatever to see what it is. Kaiser is a not-for-profit medical outfit, right? Key words: Not. For. Profit. Mmhmm. Fuggedabouddit.

I'd have to be double-jointed :ROFLMAO:. Funny thing is that the bruise is on the exact spot as the "growth" I've been complaining to my doc about for years. Years, I tell you. I figure it's just a benign cyst. At Kaiser, however, I have to make an appointment with my PCP for that specific reason, she'd give me an "appointment ticket" (read: referral) to another doc with Kaiser...so two deductibles, then another deductible for ultrasound or whatever to see what it is. Kaiser is a not-for-profit medical outfit, right? Key words: Not. For. Profit. Mmhmm. Fuggedabouddit.
Maybe that's why it's so sore. You smashed your spot.
Three deductibles!?

Back neighbor played pounding music for 6 hours then was laughing, screaming, making animal noises, yelling and talking super loudly for another 2 hours.

I think they moved their location farther from new neighbor's house, but still right behind my house. At that new location though, police might be able to hear their blasting music more easily since it's closer to the road. They were pretty careful to leave it right at the threshold where they don't think the police could hear it.

I spent the day researching how to set up the security camera. Still stymied. I also spent some time trying to find an alternative to Comcast. Stymied about that too.

Athelhampton 008.JPG
Back at Easter, after having woken up the old MG from it's winter hibernation, had it checked over, serviced and a good wash down, we took it to a local classic car show. I don't know if it was the car or our attire that attracted some fellow who introduced himself. He was the chairman of the local Rotary Club, and could he persuade us to bring our car along to an event called Bransgore Rotary Fun Day. He then added, jokingly: "Come dressed like that and we will put you up as a raffle prize."

So this morning we are up early, it will be busy given that today is a public holiday in the UK, the organisers want all the classic cars in before the public arrive so that potential incidents between cars and pedestrians can be avoided.
Enjoy your day everyone, catch up with you this evening.

View attachment 344489
Back at Easter, after having woken up the old MG from it's winter hibernation, had it checked over, serviced and a good wash down, we took it to a local classic car show. I don't know if it was the car or our attire that attracted some fellow who introduced himself. He was the chairman of the local Rotary Club, and could he persuade us to bring our car along to an event called Bransgore Rotary Fun Day. He then added, jokingly: "Come dressed like that and we will put you up as a raffle prize."

So this morning we are up early, it will be busy given that today is a public holiday in the UK, the organisers want all the classic cars in before the public arrive so that potential incidents between cars and pedestrians can be avoided.
Enjoy your day everyone, catch up with you this evening.
Have a nice day. It's been raining here most of the morning, hope it dries up (y)

@hearlady, yup...three deductibles, one for each doc and another for whatever test needed.

I was already awake at 4 am, got up to feed Maggiecat, then went back to bed for another 30 minutes.

It's gonna be a very warm day, but I don't think I'll be doing much because I just plain don't feel like it, at least not right now. Anyway, my hip hurts.

Hip. Falling. This has been on my mind. Am I getting too "long in the tooth" to be flitting around the garden? I've had a couple of falls in recent days that I attributed to the uneven "terrain" in the garden...low spots, higher spots, slopes. Yesterday I was stepping backward and forgot that there were edging pavers behind me. Backing up into one of them is how I lost my balance and fell. (Damn! Glad I kept the old glasses because I positively hated the ones that broke!) So far, I haven't fallen at work, but yanno? Wondering if it's just time for me to bite the bullet and become a tad more sedentary.

@hollydolly and our other UK cyberpals, it's a holiday? Anybody besides @horseless carriage have fun plans?

@hearlady, yup...three deductibles, one for each doc and another for whatever test needed.

I was already awake at 4 am, got up to feed Maggiecat, then went back to bed for another 30 minutes.

It's gonna be a very warm day, but I don't think I'll be doing much because I just plain don't feel like it, at least not right now. Anyway, my hip hurts.

Hip. Falling. This has been on my mind. Am I getting too "long in the tooth" to be flitting around the garden? I've had a couple of falls in recent days that I attributed to the uneven "terrain" in the garden...low spots, higher spots, slopes. Yesterday I was stepping backward and forgot that there were edging pavers behind me. Backing up into one of them is how I lost my balance and fell. (Damn! Glad I kept the old glasses because I positively hated the ones that broke!) So far, I haven't fallen at work, but yanno? Wondering if it's just time for me to bite the bullet and become a tad more sedentary.

@hollydolly and our other UK cyberpals, it's a holiday? Anybody besides @horseless carriage have fun plans?
GG, I felt that way after I broke my wrist. I broke it when I pulled a tough weed. I stumbled back when the weed (small tree) came out and forgot there were logs in back of me . I made it over one but the next one got me.
Anyway, I got over it and am back at it. The good thing is, I'm a lot more careful now. I bought some sturdy garden crocs.
So, the moral. Don't throw in the trowel yet! 🙂

Good Morning!

After a night of vivid work/frustration dreams, and then realizing I was retired, I woke up and it hit me that today is my 80th birthday - and its a strange feeling.

I have to say (I think many of you might understand) that turning 80 makes me wonder - "why me".

So many relatives, friends, heroes and favorite celebrities - all younger than me - have already passed on. Yet here I am, fairly healthy, a sharp mind (IMO), great driving and other skills, and even a nice head of hair.

Yes, I realize longevity has a lot to do with DNA and my habits and surroundings. But looking at DNA, Mom's side was riddled with dementia, and my Dad's side is inconclusive.

Goodness I've got a lot of mixed feelings over this, and as my younger sister would say, "it's just crazy".

Hey, while I'm here.... Two weeks before I joined this Forum I suddenly lost one of my two best friends. It hit me hard, and I searched for an outlet and found this Forum. May I say it has been a Godsend and you folks are truly something special - and I thank you for being here!

Good Morning!

After a night of vivid work/frustration dreams, and then realizing I was retired, I woke up and it hit me that today is my 80th birthday - and its a strange feeling.

I have to say (I think many of you might understand) that turning 80 makes me wonder - "why me".

So many relatives, friends, heroes and favorite celebrities - all younger than me - have already passed on. Yet here I am, fairly healthy, a sharp mind (IMO), great driving and other skills, and even a nice head of hair.

Yes, I realize longevity has a lot to do with DNA and my habits and surroundings. But looking at DNA, Mom's side was riddled with dementia, and my Dad's side is inconclusive.

Goodness I've got a lot of mixed feelings over this, and as my younger sister would say, "it's just crazy".

Hey, while I'm here.... Two weeks before I joined this Forum I suddenly lost one of my two best friends. It hit me hard, and I searched for an outlet and found this Forum. May I say it has been a Godsend and you folks are truly something special - and I thank you for being here!
I still dream about work sometimes. It was a big part of life.
Turning 80 is a feat. Especially, with a sharp mind and a good head of hair! 😊

No plans for today because it's raining.... but tomorrow I'm off to a large town that I haven't been to for ages , and meeting up with some friends for some lunch and retail therapy... make the most of the quieter roads while so many people are away

Back