I am curious to know what gays and lesbians look for in a relationship?

Mr. Ed

Life does not deserve my gratitude.
It has been asked what heterosexual men and women look for in a relationship. However, seldom is heard from same-sex admirers Be honest and share your thoughts most of us are adults here.

@Mr. Ed thank you for asking the question. As the "token gay" here I'll answer. :ROFLMAO:

Hubby and I have been together for 32 years. In the beginning, it was a physical attraction but we soon found out we connected on an emotional level. We still do. He is my best friend. We looked for the same things most straight couples would. Stability, intelligence, commitment, sense of humor, independence and the ability to give each other our own space.

We are now no different than a married straight couple. We have dinner at home most nights, we watch TV, we discuss current events and laugh a lot.

I would think all couples would look for the same thing in a partner – someone who brings out the best in them and they reciprocate in bringing out the best in said partner. Someone to share, laugh, love, depend on. Why would anyone think that just because their sexual orientation is different, that they would look for something the rest of us don’t?

This seems a really strange question.

Like other posters, though I am not a gay person, I would expect gay people want similar things from relationships that straight people do

But also not all people are the same so some people would look for different qualities i n a partner than others or want different things from relationships - regardless of sexual orientation.

When my Granddaughter came out to me saying she had something to tell me, I said, "Go ahead and tell me" She said, "I'm gay, please don't hate me", "What could I say to the most beautiful granddaughter whom I loved with all my heart all these years? All I said was "Thank God, I thought you were going to tell me you're pregnant". That cleared the air, and I said I just wanted to see her happy and living a good life with somebody she loves the same way my husband and I did.

Sometimes it's rather like when you don't look or do what the rest of the herd do they will either kill you or kick you out - sorta animal instinct I suppose?

There is nothing special or different about humans that are sexually attracted to their same sex. When "gay" people commit to another person they are looking for compatibility, survival support, etc besides the physical stuff, same as heterosexual people. I'm strictly a woman chaser, but was deep into a gay community when younger and one of my trusted friends today is a gay woman.

Good question....so, I have a true story about that question....when I was in HS, a buddy and I were 16 years old and working a summer job landscaping....with a lady, another dude and the two guys who own and ran the landscaping company....after a few weeks we found out the two bosses were gay...anyway, one day while we all were eating lunch, my buddy and I posed the question to the two gay guys....who by the way never exhibited what you might call "gay behavior"......we asked them, "so ,what made you like someone of the same gender....they replied, it's not the physical attraction as much as the emotional ties and same interests....along with a few other items I'll leave out..lol

They both were hilarious, just regular people.....One of the most enjoyable jobs I.ve ever had...great group of co-workers...we worked hard and it was definitely a learning experience...that's my story...put that in Reader's Digest

@Mr. Ed thank you for asking the question. As the "token gay" here I'll answer. :ROFLMAO:

Hubby and I have been together for 32 years. In the beginning, it was a physical attraction but we soon found out we connected on an emotional level. We still do. He is my best friend. We looked for the same things most straight couples would. Stability, intelligence, commitment, sense of humor, independence and the ability to give each other our own space.

We are now no different than a married straight couple. We have dinner at home most nights, we watch TV, we discuss current events and laugh a lot.
That’s really cool! Congradulations on your relationship and longevity. I grew up homophobic at the time I was figuring out my sexuality I also was diagnosed with mental illness. One day at the college library I was drawn to a book explaining homosexuality thereby assuming I must be gay because an unexplained force led me to that book. Voices in my head would say I was queer, so struggled my identity growing up.
As it turned out, I am attracted to effeminent men the same way I am attracted to women. I’ve never approached a man for romance although effeminate men are attractive.

When my Granddaughter came out to me saying she had something to tell me, I said, "Go ahead and tell me" She said, "I'm gay, please don't hate me", "What could I say to the most beautiful granddaughter whom I loved with all my heart all these years? All I said was "Thank God, I thought you were going to tell me you're pregnant". That cleared the air, and I said I just wanted to see her happy and living a good life with somebody she loves the same way my husband and I did.
...reminds me of when my son and I had that conversation. He said "dad I'm gay"...I said "yes, I know" and we both cried and hugged. My son got married a couple years ago, his husband is fantastic, I love him, and am glad that he and my son are in love.

Good question....so, I have a true story about that question....when I was in HS, a buddy and I were 16 years old and working a summer job landscaping....with a lady, another dude and the two guys who own and ran the landscaping company....after a few weeks we found out the two bosses were gay...anyway, one day while we all were eating lunch, my buddy and I posed the question to the two gay guys....who by the way never exhibited what you might call "gay behavior"......we asked them, "so ,what made you like someone of the same gender....they replied, it's not the physical attraction as much as the emotional ties and same interests....along with a few other items I'll leave out..lol

They both were hilarious, just regular people.....One of the most enjoyable jobs I.ve ever had...great group of co-workers...we worked hard and it was definitely a learning experience...that's my story...put that in Reader's Digest
nice one lynx and welcome!

Back