Self driving race cars

I dunno Don. I don't think so. Watched the link and was left wanting with the understanding they are AI race cars without a driver. O.K., I get that. To what purpose I'm not sure.

Drag racing, Indy, stock car, formula car, desert racing ad infinitum racing originations are all pivoting away from pure motorsports to an entertainment venue. So, if that is the goal, sure why not eliminate the driver? With the exception of motorcycle racing, most race cars anymore bury the driver so deep in aerodynamics and safety surroundings, they are not visible to the crowd anyway.

Reasons above have pretty much steered me away from following any motorsports. Do follow RC racing (driverless, by the way) because I used to do it and continue to bash about with my own at home.

Face Slap, OMG, please just watching NASCAR is so boring. It's the
same race after race, year after year. It just gets safer for the drivers
to try to murder each other. Its just plain lawlessness on a road.

I don't think eliminating the driver is the answer.

All forms of motorsport any more are overpowered and way too fast. It's all about the wow factor and money factor. Slowing the driver cars down will not only make it safer for all, it will also enhance the spectator appeal. At least that's the way I see it.

Good example is top fuel drag racing. Back in the '60s when 180mph trap speed was the norm, there were 180 cars show up for an event. Today at 300+mph, they're fortunate if they can fill a field of 16. And as papa tiger relates, it's so predictable anymore it borders on the boring. That's why the fireworks and rock bands. They, to me, detract from the sport and don't enhance it.

I'm surprised there aren't already "drone races" at beaches and open parks and such.

Figure-8 racing around a couple of balloons in the air or something.

They are being developed. Would anyone watch auto races if the human factor were eliminated? What about other sports? Would you care about robot basketball or baseball players? How about boxers?
If they were separate sports, humans separate from AI, I bet the human ones would always sell more tickets and get more sponsors and advertisers.

An exception would be human-controlled AI, like those remote-controlled robot gladiator fights. Those draw enough spectators to make it profitable for the promoters, contenders, and venue owners.

I am all for artificial chip brain insertain. Program players with a variety of electronic play sheet programs and compete with your neighbors.

If humans were eliminated from sports I would no longer watch. If others are interested in AI sports events - fine. It wouldn't keep my interest, so no way. There is something so contrived about AI sports.

Back