Taste in Music is very telling

TennVet

I like music with lyrics that say something, and have a melody. For that reason I still enjoy The Beatles, Tom T. Hall, Toby Keith, Willie Nelson, and believe me that list goes on. The fact that Mancini could record The Beatles music and it was really enjoyable says volumes. Tom T. Hall was called the story teller for good reason. Don't discount Toby Keith without hearing Waymon's Song. Willie Nelson is a prolific song writer, like Crazy recorded by Patsy Cline, and he hits his high notes in his own way. My playlist is eclectic. It includes Bob Seber, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Mathis, Old Blue Eyes, Nat King Coel, Nora Jones, a little Kid Rock as well.

At times I am embarrassed by the number of playlists I have on Spotify. The playlists cover a wide range of genres and eras starting from early 60's pop music to late 90's grunge music. I even have a couple of big band playlists from the 40's. I've always enjoyed music from that era. I have playlists for hard rock, yacht rock, reggae, 70's R&B, punk rock..etc. I do enjoy classical music but I don't have a playlist for that category because I prefer to listen to the artists entire work instead of just snippets from the composition.

As I have gotten older I find myself listening less to the music from my childhood through my teens. It isn't that I don't like that music. I still love the great music from the 60's and 70's but sometimes I get an uncomfortable nostalgic feel when listening to songs from that era.

One thing I swore I would never do when I got older is raise my fists and scream out loud "Kids, these days ! They don't know what good music is" I have avoided doing that for the most part. But at the same time I have not kept up with the latest music since around the early 2000's. I know that despite of this area of auto tuning and AI enhancements there are some very talented artists and bands out there creating new and exciting things but I just don't have the time and interest to keep up with it. Plus, the great majority of the new music isn't aimed for my demographic .

What does my taste in music tell about me ? I'm not really sure but music has always been very important to me and I feel fortunate to have lived during a time when it was easy to be exposed to all different types of music because of the radio and even MTV. I'm not sure how the teens and younger adults are exposed to different types of music these days.

As a singer, I really liked Patsy Cline... dunno if she wrote any songs. But she sure was a fine interpreter of lyrics with her vocal nuances.
I think she more of a performer rather than writer. We attended a concert in Nashville that featured the Nashville Symphony Orchestra and Mandy Barrett performing songs of Patsy Cline. Sound odd? In fact it was amazing, great singing the best of accompaniment, all enhanced by superb accoutstics.

I was told once--and not jokingly as near as I could tell--that the fact that I like bagpipe music made me ignorant.
The only bagpipe music I have heard was/is at funerals for Police Officers and Troopers killed while in the line of duty. When they play “Amazing Grace” there is generally not a dry eye.

When a friend of mine was killed during a chase of a double homicide suspect and he failed to navigate a curve that most of us referred to as an “L” curve on backroads. Right after the accident, about 90 days later, they widened the curve and changed it from an “L” curve to an almost a semi “U” turn. It cut down accidents on that turn by over 95%. Previously, they only had flashing yellow lights on the curve and we had investigated several accidents on that turn

I'm the opposite in this thread. I disregard lyrics, don't pay attention to them. For me, people singing is a distraction from the sound of the instruments. I loved the sound of the song, "Lola", by The Kinks; I had no idea what it was about, until someone pointed it out to me. For some strange reason, I don't notice lyrics.

BTW about bagpipes. They were originally designed to be used in war- to scare the hell out of the enemy. I think they do a good job.

I'm the opposite in this thread. I disregard lyrics, don't pay attention to them. For me, people singing is a distraction from the sound of the instruments. I loved the sound of the song, "Lola", by The Kinks; I had no idea what it was about, until someone pointed it out to me. For some strange reason, I don't notice lyrics.

BTW about bagpipes. They were originally designed to be used in war- to scare the hell out of the enemy. I think they do a good job.
We all have our likes and dislikes. I like to hear BB King and his blues, and to my mind no one handles a guitar any better than Eric Clapton.

Now that's just mean spirited. I have a Scot-Irish heritage, I don't care for bagpipes but I don't think it demeans anyone who does. To me they always sound rather mournful.
I'm Scottish born an raised, I hate Bagpipes, despite being surrounded by kilt wearing bagpipe players everywhere, while I was growing up.... always have hated them ..everything sounds like a dirge...

so really your preference would be for classical or instrumental music...

I think she more of a performer rather than writer. We attended a concert in Nashville that featured the Nashville Symphony Orchestra and Mandy Barrett performing songs of Patsy Cline. Sound odd? In fact it was amazing, great singing the best of accompaniment, all enhanced by superb accoutstics.
was it not Mandy Barnett ?...I saw her years ago when she was first impersonating Patsy.. and she sounded a lot like her, but she dressed in fringe cowgirl skirts, and fringe boots... with a cowboy shirt... looked very odd..

Patsy co-wrote on a couple of her songs.. but she was not a songwriter per se..

her greatest hit of course was written by Willie Nelson.. ''Crazy''

C&W music is huge in Scotland and Ireland .. they say in many way more popular than it is in the USA now.. so I grew up hearing lots of country music.. and even at 16 had a Patsy Cline album along with T-rex, and Bowie.. lol

was it not Mandy Barnett ?...I saw her years ago when she was first impersonating Patsy.. and she sounded a lot like her, but she dressed in fringe cowgirl skirts, and fringe boots... with a cowboy shirt... looked very odd..

C&W music is huge in Scotland and Ireland .. they say in many way more popular than it is in the USA now.. so I grew up hearing lots of country music.. and even at 16 had a Patsy Cline album along with T-rex, and Bowie.. lol
Yes it was Mandy Barnett. Honestly, her vocals were so close to that of Patsy Cline that you get goosebumps. Willie has written a number of classics. Years ago he appeared on a local TV channel early morning show as a regular, before he started getting deserved attention. Interesting to see performers when starting out and later follow their more successful events.

Interesting. More of that conversation I had with the person telling me that liking bagpipes made me ignorant is coming back to me: He also said that liking bagpipes was akin to liking country music (shuddered a little when he said that). It's so interesting what people like and dislike about music; music is an enormous world.

The only bagpipe music I have heard was/is at funerals for Police Officers and Troopers killed while in the line of duty. When they play “Amazing Grace” there is generally not a dry eye.

When a friend of mine was killed during a chase of a double homicide suspect and he failed to navigate a curve that most of us referred to as an “L” curve on backroads. Right after the accident, about 90 days later, they widened the curve and changed it from an “L” curve to an almost a semi “U” turn. It cut down accidents on that turn by over 95%. Previously, they only had flashing yellow lights on the curve and we had investigated several accidents on that turn
I've only heard the bagpipes for fallen law enforcement in movies or tv. I've heard Taps played by a military bugler too many times. Never do I hear Taps that I don't get a lump in my throat.

I better go find something to do. I may be lectured again. Later.

I am probably generalizing but I have always felt that the people in the UK were more open to all different types of music compared to those here in the US. I think that is a reason why many of my favorite artists are from the UK.

I've only heard the bagpipes for fallen law enforcement in movies or tv. I've heard Taps played by a military bugler too many times. Never do I hear Taps that I don't get a lump in my throat.
In the cemetery where my Dad is buried, there is a Veteran’s section. Every Memorial Day, the cemetery puts on a revered service and allows ministers from other faiths to give a 2-minute prayer, which most of them run longer. My Dad was Episcopalian, so when Father Kemp was there, he would pray over my Dad’s grave. With the new Priests that have come and gone, some may come out and some will send a Deacon. It’s really nice that the cemetery does this. Each grave of a Veteran gets a flag. My wife and I decorate my Dad’s grave before the weekend.

I have also gone down to Arlington a few times. If you can get into the Amphitheater, you will see a nice military remembrance from the services represented at that time. The Marines put on a nice service, but the Navy band is hard to beat. While we are on subject of services, I would like to remind anyone that is considering a visit to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier to please follow the guidelines listed online or at the sight. At no time should anyone attempt to cross the rope. Do Not break any of the rules. You will be embarrassed by the guards.

I've enjoyed the lyrics & melodies of Dire Straits, a lot of James Taylor's songs, Jackson Browne's, Fred Neil's, Joni Mitchell's, and a certain selection of Gordon Lightfoot's, John Hiatt's, Marvin Gaye's, Fleetwood Mac's, Bob Marley's, Bill Withers, among many others.

I liked Phoebe Snow's singing, with her own songs and those written by others. I've been extremely impressed with Steely Dan's sophisticated melodies, lyrics, and instrumental arrangements (but I admit, I relish the fusion of rock, funk & jazz).

Back