Truck crashed into our house today

I hope the guy has insurance that will pay for the damage, so many people don't and you wind up eating the costs.
Sorry to see the damage to your house.

Here in Canada, automobile insurance is MANDATORY. The fine for "driving with out valid insurance" is TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS FOR THE FIRST CONVICTION. That is the minimum set fine, the Judge MAY impose a higher fine, depending on the situation if some one is hurt, or killed. The whole idea is to make it so EXPENSIVE to not have insurance, that the cost of insurance looks like a bargain by comparison.

After being convicted of "driving without valid insurance " no regular vehicle insurance company will write you a policy. That forces the scoff laws into the "Special high risk group " where the rates are 200 to 500 percent higher than the rates the convicted driver was paying before being convicted in court. Those high rates last for at least 4 years after the date of conviction. JimB In Toronto.

Mr. Ed, I hope everyone is alright. Here in PA, we have to have insurance. You can’t even buy a car without having an insurance company you deal with because when you make the purchase, the dealer calls the agency and makes the transfer or adds on the vehicle you just bought.

But, like everything else in life, people do find a way around the law. I had arrested several non insured drivers and had their vehicle towed. The owners really got upset with me, but I told them I was just doing my job.

Sorry to see the damage to your house.

Here in Canada, automobile insurance is MANDATORY. The fine for "driving with out valid insurance" is TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS FOR THE FIRST CONVICTION. That is the minimum set fine, the Judge MAY impose a higher fine, depending on the situation if some one is hurt, or killed. The whole idea is to make it so EXPENSIVE to not have insurance, that the cost of insurance looks like a bargain by comparison.

After being convicted of "driving without valid insurance " no regular vehicle insurance company will write you a policy. That forces the scoff laws into the "Special high risk group " where the rates are 200 to 500 percent higher than the rates the convicted driver was paying before being convicted in court. Those high rates last for at least 4 years after the date of conviction. JimB In Toronto.
i wish that was how it worked here. Motor Insurance is mandatory... but if someone without insurance hits you..or damages your car or property then it come out of your own insurance and your premiums rise the following year... and the perp gets maybe a fine if that.. and potentially but not always points on their licence.. in court. ( 12 points on a licence is an automatic ban) and most often a licence will just be endorsed with 3 or 6 points..

Back