Truck crashed into our house today

Update: Environmentalist inspector determined house is highly contaminated with asbestos that must be removed before renovation can begin. We have 4 cats living in the house that will need to be removed and boarded for 6-9 months. The RV is a 5th wheel Grand Design Reflection 293RES specs and literature guide (rvusa.com)
I am scheduled to go before the zoning board to apply for an area variance permit that will permit the RV to remain at site longer than 10 days.

Where are they finding the asbestos? Many older homes have asbestos products but this is not an issue unless the asbestos is disturbed and made airborne. An asbestos tile won’t hurt you if it is left alone.

Where are they finding the asbestos? Many older homes have asbestos products but this is not an issue unless the asbestos is disturbed and made airborne. An asbestos tile won’t hurt you if it is left alone.
The asbestos was disturbed as a result of the crash

I hope your insurance company will be able to give you recommendations for licensed contractors they have used for claims in the past. It's a good starting point if they have some referrals. Hoping things go smoothly for you moving forward.

If that is the case, I would think that insurance would cover the removal of the asbestos. Be cautious about settling with the other parties insurance if they make an offer - it will probably be lower than it should be.
I agree. Try and get as much done out of this as you can. Asbestos is really bad stuff.

If that is the case, I would think that insurance would cover the removal of the asbestos. Be cautious about settling with the other parties insurance if they make an offer - it will probably be lower than it should be.
Michael is right to be cautious. It's time to find a lawyer that can help you navigate through this. Insurance companies are not like what they used to be years ago when you went through your agent. Now the agent just sells insurance & now you have to deal with someone on a phone & you don't know where they are located at.

From personal experience after an car accident, I am glad I had an attorney to help me. I would have been left holding the bag paying out of my own pocket if I didn't. Our lawyer that we use for years for wills & etc. recommended another attorney who only deals with accidents/insurances/medical problems & was excellent.

He wasn't from one of those firms you see advertising on billboards or TV telling you they are going to get all kinds money. See if you can get recommendations from someone local & hopefully not from a big firm.

It looks like we will have a 5th wheel RV to live in until the house is repaired. Wednesday I go before the town board to ask for an area variance permit after demonstrating a need for housing at no fault of our own. The dogs will be happy to get out of their crates in my neighbor's garage and will be happy to have our own space.
RV guy coming today to inspect where the RV will stand, water, electricity etc.

Back