Would you drink kopi luwak (coffee)?

Nope. Same goes for Black Ivory Coffee. It's a brand of coffee produced in northern Thailand from Arabica coffee beans consumed by elephants and collected from their waste. šŸ˜

View attachment 103458
The only known side-effects are a desire to attend circuses and an urge to walk single-file behind your friends.

Years ago I took a marketing class. This was well into my adult years, trying to hack out a 4 year degree at night while working.

Apparently the Japanese had found a way to extract protein from its sewage sludge and turn it into a breakfast meat. This was back in the early 90s...you can find recent articles on them trying to turn it into "burgers."

One of our projects was to come up a way to sell it.

This reminds me of that. I guess it's a little less repulsive coming from a critter.

Years ago I took a marketing class. This was well into my adult years, trying to hack out a 4 year degree at night while working.

Apparently the Japanese had found a way to extract protein from its sewage sludge and turn it into a breakfast meat. This was back in the early 90s...you can find recent articles on them trying to turn it into "burgers."

One of our projects was to come up a way to sell it.

This reminds me of that. I guess it's a little less repulsive coming from a critter.
:sick: šŸ¤®...

They have a real problem over there, being a tiny island.

In the states, the "sludge" from the sewage treatment plants is sterilized and trucked out to rural areas (like mine) and spread over fields to biodegrade. They pay the landowners to do this...there is no other way to dispose of it. It's done in my county, trucked in from New Jersey, I believe. My neighbor does it.

Lots of us are angry at the local politicians who voted to permit this. Anything for a buck.
But they haven't gone the Japanese route. Yet......

soylent_green-is-people.jpg

"Soylent green is pooo pooo!!!!!!!"

Kopi luwak is a coffee that consists of partially digested coffee cherries, which have been eaten and defecated by the Asian palm civet. It is therefore also called civet coffee. The cherries are fermented as they pass through a civet's intestines, and after being defecated with other fecal matter, they are collected. Asian palm civets are increasingly caught in the wild and traded for this purpose.

From the most unexpected origins, comes the worldā€™s most exotic and expensive coffee. Produced primarily in Indonesia, the rare Kopi Luwak coffee comes from the droppings of the palm civet, a wild cat-like animal that feasts on only the tastiest coffee tree berries. After the berries are digested, the remaining coffee beans are collected and purified before being roasted to perfection.

I really enjoy trying new things. I really enjoy my daily cuppa joe. But I'd have a really hard time drinking poop coffee. šŸ˜–

View attachment 103402
I'll pass @Ronni (pun intended). I agree with the others, I don't like to see animals being used like this either.

Back