Are these reasonable charges for cable service?

I tried to enroll in the Affordable Connectivity program, but all I got was this message:

View attachment 317056
Yes, you will need to give them a copy of your driver's license and your last tax return showing your gross adjusted income. You are trying to enroll in the program and need to show you are within the guidelines.

I got as far as checking one of 2 boxes - if my household income was below $29,160 or I have a dependent child. I can't check either, so I guess I don't qualify.
Virtually All of these "savings" programs only apply to those already living at/below current Poverty levels. Heck, those people can even get free cell phones and service. If you have a comfortable Middle Class income, you don't qualify for Anything.

The only reasonable charge for cable or for streaming is $0.00.

Anything beyond that is an unnecessary drain on your savings account.

They already got their money from the advertisers they don't need mine.

What does it take to be middle class? Roughly $82,000 a year in household income in San Francisco, $74,000 in Seattle and $60,000 in Washington, D.C., a new study says, but only $24,000 in Cleveland.

Here’s what it takes to be middle class

$24K doesn't sound rich to me, even in Cleveland.

With such a variation by geographic area, maybe every national retailer should be required to scale their prices appropriately?

But California, New York, et al. get all kinds of back door economic subsidies of this kind.

Virtually All of these "savings" programs only apply to those already living at/below current Poverty levels. Heck, those people can even get free cell phones and service. If you have a comfortable Middle Class income, you don't qualify for Anything.
Yes, I'm finding that out. I don't qualify for any programs (LIHEAP, for example) because I make "too much" money a month. Really?? My measly $24,000/year is too much?

Just a quick update on the Affordable Connectivity Program. I misstated that I didn't qualify. When I first applied, I didn't have any proof of what my income would be since SS hadn't finalized everything from my late husband's benefits. Since then, I got some mail from them about it so I went to their web and got the Benefit Verification Letter and printed it out. I re-applied at ACP, sent them a copy of my driver's license and the SS letter, and I was accepted for $30/month off internet.

I would urge Deb to follow through and send them the requested ID. I believe the income limit for 1 person is $29,000/year.

My last bill from Spectrum:

View attachment 316891
Your charges are very close to what I am paying on a monthly basis. Mine usually comes to about CA$ 217.00. I am paying for a Land line phone I never use except to answer scammers, would love to get rid of basic cable and just go with Wi-Fi and streaming but can't change anything because a deal the landlord made with a local ISP. Since my rent has stayed relatively low I accept this added on package. And basic cable can be good for local news.

Two years ago I switched to YouTube tv and you are allowed to share it with a friend which cuts the cost in half. They allow 4 TVs to be used at once between the two households. I pay the cost of 74/month and then my friend pays me half.

My internet with spectrum is 55/month with taxes and fees. Every year when they raise it I threaten to leave since tv mobile internet is cheaper and they lower it back. I have a prepaid plan with tv mobile for my cell phone which is the only phone I have. It’s a flat fee of 15/month.

That's less than I pay. I have basic expanded cable, nothing premium, internet and phone. I keep the landline phone due to my stepfather. I wish I could figure out how to get other stuff and go cheaper but it's all very confusing for me.

I wish I could figure out how to get other stuff and go cheaper but it's all very confusing for me.
I feel the same. People say "get streaming" or ROKU, but I fear they won't have the channels I want. A few weeks ago, Spectrum had a run-in with Disney. They ended up dropping some channels I used to watch, they they raised the TV package $5.

I feel the same. People say "get streaming" or ROKU, but I fear they won't have the channels I want. A few weeks ago, Spectrum had a run-in with Disney. They ended up dropping some channels I used to watch, they they raised the TV package $5.
Yes, they take channels away. It's blackmail IMO to get people to take a higher pay tier. They took the channel away that used to carry the show Ink Master. I have not one tattoo but liked that show. They also took away CMT (country music station) I don't like country music but many do and they also run movies. They did add the game show channel and I like that one.

My last bill from Spectrum:

View attachment 316891
So you have a "package" that provides Voice(which I'm guessing is a landline), Spectrum Internet, and some kind of TV assortment of channels, and of course...$23.20 "other charges'. It's your call of course, personally I'd dump the Spectrum TV, I'm willing to bet there's only a few channels you would actually watch. I would also dump the "Voice" service and pick up a cell phone, if you don't have one already.
You can stream most any program you want, even local TV channels in most cases.

So you have a "package" that provides Voice(which I'm guessing is a landline), Spectrum Internet, and some kind of TV assortment of channels, and of course...$23.20 "other charges'. It's your call of course, personally I'd dump the Spectrum TV, I'm willing to bet there's only a few channels you would actually watch. I would also dump the "Voice" service and pick up a cell phone, if you don't have one already.
You can stream most any program you want, even local TV channels in most cases.
Spectrum has their cell service through Verizon and it's free for a year, then it's $20/month for unlimited everything.

Okay - I called and asked for an extension of my "promotional" discount. The agent said that was the price and term of what I agreed to when I moved and since I have the most basic tier of service, there was nothing to cut back. My only less expensive option was to have them come and remove all cable equipment.

Then I wouldn't have phone, TV or Internet. They sure got people, as my parents would say, where the hairs are short. It's pay up or go without.

I think with all the people dropping cable service, they have to charge more to their remining customers to make up the loss.

Good for you then you shouldn't have a reason to complain. I don't mean to be unkind, but you seem to be always moaning about something and want advice but never willing to take it. Maybe you need a hobby or an outside the house activity to occupy your mind and time.
lol - Maybe she really needs a hubby! But, then again, as Mr T used to say, "I pity the fool".

Just kidding, of course

Back