Are these reasonable charges for cable service?

That's a lot of services you're paying for. Are you actually using them?

You may be eligible for an Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) discount, I know Spectrum offers it. If you're below a certain income level you got a $30 per month reduction on internet and I think $10 per month on phone plan.

Other than that I would say eliminate services you don't use or look into other providers, your bill is more than I would pay.
It's been cancelled because Congress won't appropriate the funding😥

My cable bill had doubled since I had my account transferred to my new address in December 2021. They also dropped several Disney-owned channels. Also, with my old account I could get TCM and the Science Channel, but not anymore - if I want those I have to go to a higher tier (i.e. more expensive). Paying more and more for less and less.

My cable bill jumped $21. this month. Did not pay the $21. part yet. One day late, and I've already gotten a telephone notice about it. Won't be able to contact them until Thursday, but I'm sure the discussion will go nowhere. It's disgusting. They are disgusting. No competition, except Verizon which I don't want and they stink too.

Congress has yet to pass legislation to continue funding the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP). Without additional funding from Congress, the FCC has to end the program. You will see changes to your internet bill starting in May 2024. Your internet company will let you know when the ACP discount on your monthly bill will end.
The Administration’s pending supplemental appropriations request calls on Congress to pass legislation that would provide funding for the ACP so tens of millions of households can continue to access this essential program. The ACP enables households to participate in school, access job opportunities and telemedicine, connect with loved ones, and more.

What does this mean for me?
After the ACP ends, you will no longer get the monthly internet discount or save on a device.
What do I do now?
Please review any written notices from your internet company carefully. Contact your internet company if you have questions about how the end of the ACP will affect your monthly bill and to ask about the options available to you.

Can I still save on internet service even after the ACP ends?
Yes, you may still qualify for the Lifeline Program to save on internet service. Lifeline is another federal program that makes phone and internet service more affordable.
If you qualify for Lifeline, you can get a monthly benefit of:

• Up to $9.25 off the cost of phone, internet, or bundled services
  • Up to $34.25 off the cost of phone, internet or bundled services if you live on Tribal Lands

Learn more at LifelineSupport.org.

ACP Support Center
Universal Service Administrative Co.

How about this option. I did a google search for New York. My DIL uses a plan similar to this and it’s saving her lots of $.

‘If you're a Spectrum Internet customer paying for cable TV, you can save money by switching to Spectrum TV Choice, a live TV streaming plan that offers 15 channels for $29.99/mo. You could also try playing hard to get—we've found success by calling Spectrum and requesting to cancel service.’
‘Can I watch Spectrum TV without a cable box?
The Spectrum TV App is a FREE mobile app that allows Spectrum TV customers to stream live TV and On Demand content on a smartphone, tablet or smart TV, Apple TV, Xumo TV (also known as Xclass TV), Xumo Stream Box, Roku, Xbox One or Google Chromecast. The app lets you stream Spectrum TV at home or on-the-go.’

I believe the TV has to have an HDMI connector to get streaming services.
Only if you're streaming from your computer. The HDMI connects your TV to your computer.

Some TVs have streaming services built in, i.e., smart TVs and Roku TVs. Other ways to get streaming services is to buy a streaming device that hooks up to your TV, e.i., firestick, roku streaming stick.

Only if you're streaming from your computer. The HDMI connects your TV to your computer.

Some TVs have streaming services built in, i.e., smart TVs and Roku TVs. Other ways to get streaming services is to buy a streaming device that hooks up to your TV, e.i., firestick, roku streaming stick.
And you can also hook up an over the air antenna to get your local channels. You can buy a good OTA for around $50 . One time cost.

I know but one of the issues with streaming is that many apps do not offer local channels broadcasting live so if that was a concern I was just letting her know that the streaming options PLUS an OTA is a good combination and still much cheaper than cable.
Not everyone can use an OTA to get channels. I can't in my area. She would have to look up what would be available in her area. There are several web sites for this information. Unfortunately, she has an ancient tv and doesn't want to upgrade. Again, just another thing she complains about and is unwilling to accept help with :(

I tried to enroll in the Affordable Connectivity program, but all I got was this message:

View attachment 317056
There always seems to be a catch for some people. I think it just depends on who is taking the application. Some will just submit it and applying for the credit seems easy, while others have to produce information after information that it seem to be not worthwhile, so you just give up and say the heck with it.

Back