DIY - Short Easy to Cut & Style Hair

DIY hair cutting? I'm sure some people will be along to tell you how easy it is and how well it went for them. As for me, a BIG NO on that, Pat!belayIf you're feeling insane/adventurous, there are a ton of videos on YouTube of how you can screw it up all by yourself. 😁

Did you cut yours? I don't think any of these styles are DIY, but they are cute.
Which one do you like the best?

I can't have short hair. I don't feel like me.
Yes I’ve cut my hair most of my life but it’s always been long curly and one length. Tailbone length.
I’m wanting something cooler and easy to care for.

This hairdresser shows how to do one of those styles that are somewhat longer on top and short and butch underneath and I think I could do it. I’m sure there will be some initial ‘learning curve’ tears 😭 at first.

Any women here cut their own hair with clippers and scissors?

I’m used to trimming really long hair only but thinking about a big change.

If so, how hard is it for you to do?

View attachment 294290View attachment 294287View attachment 294288View attachment 294289View attachment 294291
I've been cutting my own hair since 1978, after a brief course offered at school between 1975-1977. Back then it was good enough for fixing trim of split ends and taking care of bangs (fringes).

After got married, experimented with husband's hair, he loved it (I'd seen and observed my Father's barbers growing up) and ask for it again and again.

My Papa was my hair handler until he died in mid-70s, my hair were the length of my body, 3 feet long. Washing, detangling and trimming plus he showed me how to braid my hair in so many ways, aww fun times with Daddy!

YouTube in its beginnings had basics hair DIY, I paid attention and practiced. Nowadays, it's a reverse bob type to shoulder length and a straight up trip for fringe. Just like these videos here:

Easy-peasy!

I've been cutting my own hair since 1978, after a brief course offered at school between 1975-1977. Back then it was good enough for fixing trim of split ends and taking care of bangs (fringes).

After got married, experimented with husband's hair, he loved it (I'd seen and observed my Father's barbers growing up) and ask for it again and again.

My Papa was my hair handler until he died in mid-70s, my hair were the length of my body, 3 feet long. Washing, detangling and trimming plus he showed me how to braid my hair in so many ways, aww fun times with Daddy!

YouTube in its beginnings had basics hair DIY, I paid attention and practiced. Nowadays, it's a reverse bob type to shoulder length and a straight up trip for fringe. Just like these videos here:

Easy-peasy!
These two are great videos and much easier to accomplish . Very well explained and demonstrated.

I trim my own hair but it's shoulder length so easy to do.
I would never attempt a short style or anything more than light layers.
I'd love to have a cute short style but I don't think I could pull it off. Also, I've heard short cuts are harder to style and maintain.
I've been learning to use claw clips and put it up in his heat.

I have curly, frizzy hair. I can trim it long but have never tried a short cut myself, though I could do it on someone else. I would be afraid to try cutting it short myself.
I can trim it long but I have had others cutting layers into it making it frizzy and pulling it out making bald spots everywhere. Being dragged around by my hair is truly no fun so cutting my hair short would stop that. They are destroying my hair anyway so instead of having it all pulled out by the roots, I will save them the trouble. I’m writing this down so I have a public record of it.

I was cutting my own hair since I was a teenager. A couple of times when I went to the beauty parlor, the beauticians got carried away. Once I went to a former neighbor who was in the business and I was so upset with how she cut my hair. I said never again. They don't seem to understand trim. So it was back to cutting my own hair.

I really like the styles in the 1st and 5th photos you posted Patty. And dragging you around by your hair??!! What did I miss?!

@officerripley After I stopped having my hair permed, I was left with my natural kinky, thick hair. I cut that as well. My method may be unconventional, but it works. I part in sections, take the scissors and eyeball it to "measure" how much should come off each section. Then I snip here and there to make sure it's even. I have what we refer to as different "grades" of hair. Some parts are not as kinky as others.

Last edited:
I'm sick and tired of trying to explain to the hairdresser how I want my hair cut. Last week I went in looking like Martha and came out looking like Arthur. I suppose the best thing about a bad haircut is 2 weeks.

My husband used to tell me a story about someone he knew from childhood days who tried to cut his friend's hair. He put a pot on his head and pushed in on really tight, he trimmed the hair around his head but when he tried to get the pot off, it was stuck. The boy's mother was shocked and had to take him on the tram to the hospital where the doctors drilled a hole in it to let out the air. True story, so he said.

I can trim it long but I have had others cutting layers into it making it frizzy and pulling it out making bald spots everywhere. Being dragged around by my hair is truly no fun so cutting my hair short would stop that. They are destroying my hair anyway so instead of having it all pulled out by the roots, I will save them the trouble. I’m writing this down so I have a public record of it.
You are in a dangerous situation and need to get out. Take your dogs and leave.
I don't understand this! Are you in danger???

How can we help??
I’m not sure anyone can help.
I’ve got a rare disorder, that I didn’t think affected me as an adult , that’s being taken advantage of. When I called the police about this, their response was that it was too late to do anything about it. The next time I spoke out loud about this, I was forced to go into a mental ward and forced enough drugs to put out a baby elephant. I don’t remember the first 2 days there and I was there for 5.

There are far too many people profiting from what’s happening here that there is zero protection, meaning there’s no solution. I’m continuously getting attacked. My mind might not remember everything that happens but my body knows. My heart rate races, my mind panics excessively and I sweat profusely. There’s physically proof on my body and everything I own either gets stolen or trashed. The lists of things damaged and stolen is astronomical. Our new home has been trashed both inside and out. I’ve got pictures to prove it. I no longer even look like me. 🫥 I’m telling you this in case anything happens to me.

Back