DIY - Short Easy to Cut & Style Hair

I know this has gone on for a long time and you've shared some with us. I also figure you may have started down a rabbit hole in your post you didn't intend to because the hole is too deep.
That's ok. Share only want you want and stop when you want.
Just give us a sign if you need anything, any help, anything.

This is frightening. Is there anyone close by that will help you? Children? Friends? Services outside of ones that you've been forced to deal with?
Services for Aging?

https://www.healthyplace.com/blogs/borderline/2014/02/when-people-with-mental-illness-become-prey
Nobody. We retired from living in the same house for 24 years; same area for 30. This is where I knew everyone and plenty knew me.

My husband wanted to retire here where I don’t know a soul. Literally.

Thank you for helping.

I wish I'd know what to say, but ... I don't. I guess since you said you wanted to say it to get it in the public record, could you consider telling us exactly what kind of housing you have that this is happening with? Like a group home? And also, could you clarify who "they" are that are doing this to you? Healthcare workers? Can you think of *anything* at all that strangers as all of us are, could do to help you?

I am a 62 year old man that still has a pretty good crop of hair, but I keep it short. I guess that comes from being in the military too long. During the summer, I have to keep it shorter than normal just to be comfortable. I never took to having long hair or even considered it. Some guys look goo din it, but I have tried on wigs just for the heck of it and it; and it's not for me.

I kind of envy men and women who can just shave their hair every few weeks. I’ve only had short hair once in my life and that was when my mom took me to her hairdresser who cut my long hair into a short shag. I instantly went from being a long blonde to a short reddish brown but loved it. That was just before entering high school and I’ve had long hair ever since. I want to cut my hair but haven’t struck up the nerve yet but will someday. By then I should have proper clippers instead of using the dogs.

B
I kind of envy men and women who can just shave their hair every few weeks. I’ve only had short hair once in my life and that was when my mom took me to her hairdresser who cut my long hair into a short shag. I instantly went from being a long blonde to a short reddish brown but loved it. That was just before entering high school and I’ve had long hair ever since. I want to cut my hair but haven’t struck up the nerve yet but will someday. By then I should have proper clippers instead of using the dogs.
Maybe go gradually. A bit shorter each time you get it cut.

Will you post some before and after pics if you do go ahead and remove your long curly tresses?

I just yesterday got a pixie cut. Trimmed close around my ears and really short trimmed in the back. Longer on top. I really like it this way and finally found a hairdresser to cut it just the way I wanted. I think I can keep this hair cut for quite some time. Easy care. Not this is not me😁
dac5c6ae7759f352bb941fd23c439ba3.jpg

I just yesterday got a pixie cut. Trimmed close around my ears and really short trimmed in the back. Longer on top. I really like it this way and finally found a hairdresser to cut it just the way I wanted. I think I can keep this hair cut for quite some time. Easy care. Not this is not me😁
dac5c6ae7759f352bb941fd23c439ba3.jpg
That looks gorgeous and is exactly the kind of cut I want. Really short at the bottom with sassy layers on top.

I’m so glad you added that it’s not a picture of you cause otherwise you’d look far too young to be a senior.

That’s so very nice. Thanks for posting.
It must be great for wash and wear. I’d love to be able to wash my hair every day or second day . This looks like easy care.

Last edited:
I've cut both my hair and my hubs for many years. Gave up trying to go to a hairdresser...it was like trying to teach a pig to sing, all you did was waste your time and annoy the pig. Cut my hair short about a year ago and love it...not as hard as I thought it might be to keep it trimmed, but I do thin my hair sometimes. Have always had a real big head of hair...lol.

I've cut both my hair and my hubs for many years. Gave up trying to go to a hairdresser...it was like trying to teach a pig to sing, all you did was waste your time and annoy the pig. Cut my hair short about a year ago and love it...not as hard as I thought it might be to keep it trimmed, but I do thin my hair sometimes. Have always had a real big head of hair...lol.
May I ask what type of clippers you use?
My hair is generally thick in most places.
Do you cut your hair the same length everywhere or leave it longer at the very top?
Or do you use definite length attachments for different areas?

May I ask what type of clippers you use?
My hair is generally thick in most places.
Do you cut your hair the same length everywhere or leave it longer at the very top?
Or do you use definite length attachments for different areas?
I use a man's electric hair cutter for hub's hair and I cut my hair with only a pair of scissors.
Very important for me to cut it when it is wet (as its naturally curly) and to thin it when Its dry.
Like it not curly so I leave the top longer.

Actually I don't layer it as thick curly hair is hard to layer right.
So with that said, keeping the sides and back longer and thinning it a bit by my ears to "shape" it in a salon
style short cut works for me. Think Murder She Wrote with less curl...lol. Get compliments so some others
must like it too...lol.

I also mix temporary hair colors (salon versions) in two shades to get the light ash brown/ blonde I have come to enjoy instead of
all grey natural. Both the cut and the color are easy to maintain - my theory is only you can cut your hair...lol.

I use a man's electric hair cutter for hub's hair and I cut my hair with only a pair of scissors.
Very important for me to cut it when it is wet (as its naturally curly) and to thin it when Its dry.
Like it not curly so I leave the top longer.

Actually I don't layer it as thick curly hair is hard to layer right.
So with that said, keeping the sides and back longer and thinning it a bit by my ears to "shape" it in a salon
style short cut works for me. Think Murder She Wrote with less curl...lol. Get compliments so some others
must like it too...lol.

I also mix temporary hair colors (salon versions) in two shades to get the light ash brown/ blonde I have come to enjoy instead of
all grey natural. Both the cut and the color are easy to maintain - my theory is only you can cut your hair...lol.
Thank you for writing this all out for me.
My hair is thick and curly also and if it gets layered, it turns into frizz. For the longest time my hair was all one length of at least most was so it clumped into ringlets. I liked it like that.

The very top of my hair isn’t curly, it’s wavy , the curl starts further down and turns into ringlets. I have 2c - 3a nature hair curl. If I comb it out while wet, it turns wavy.

So you have a Angela Landsbury look.
IMG_0780.jpeg

Dying it isn’t something I will do. I hennaed my hair for an ultra red colour and it took me about 6 years to grow out . Plus my hair has thick silver streaks making me have to colour the roots every week which I’m no longer willing to do. I embrace my natural colour.

In fact, I read this entire thread over and decided against doing it. Trimming long hair is actually easy especially when it’s tailbone length. It’s easy to see. Unless I’m ready to buzz my hair 1/2 an inch long throughout my entire hair, I’m not sure I can do this and I’d really hate to screw up. I only have one chance. If I screw it up and don’t like it more than I don’t like it now, it would be a very foolish mistake.

For now I shall leave it long but keep it up in a bun. Someday I will want to cut it but I want to definitely know what I’m doing and how it’s going to turn out within reason.

Thanks for your time. Your post was very helpful.

Today after my walk I stopped by a store to pick up a bar of soap and unexpectedly found some nice coconut milk soap and shampoo bar soap with rosemary. Anyway I just tried them and they are so nice. I love finding something far better than what I was expecting and far cheaper. Less than $4 @ Shopper’s Drug Mart and the shampoo bar lathers up better than any of my shampoos.
IMG_0786.jpeg

Last edited:
I literally grew up in a salon. My mother was a professional hairdresser who owned her own business for forty years.

Some people are brave enough to give cutting their own hair a try. Good for them. It helps if you have good instructions. I've watched countless DIY hair cutting videos. Some of them are dreadful. This adorable young lady did a very nice job on her hair. She did it exactly as it should be done. First, she approached it slowly and took her time. Second, she properly sectioned her hair, and third, she cut a guideline to follow. That helps to make sure the entire cut is even. The only thing she didn't do was point-cut the ends so it wouldn't be so blunt, but I guess she wanted it blunt. Have a look.

If you're going to attempt this at home, do yourself a favor and invest in a decent pair of hair-cutting shears that you only use for hair cutting. They're inexpensive and worth getting so you don't do a hack job on your hair.

Pats, I know you want to cut your hair really short, but as hearlady suggested, you might consider cutting it off in stages rather than in one fell swoop. ✂️👩🧑👦

Thanks for this video Bella. She did a great job cutting her hair and I agree about the cutting it in sections. When my hair was bra strap length, this is how I used to cut it.

I also agree about purchasing proper hair cutting scissors. Mine definitely need replacing.

She’s very good at cutting it straight and it probably helps a lot that her hair is smooth and straight to begin with.

I also agree that I should cut my hair in stages. Following this video would be a good start . Unfortunately I don’t think my hair would look good this short at all one length. It would be far too thick and chunky. The length is what worked for me since it turned into ringlets.

The only time I had my hair this short was just before entering high school and it was layered in chunks which took the frizz out. The only thing about having layers is that I can’t ever get the same layers, cutting them myself.

These are great videos and she is very cute and brave. Her boyfriend or husband was a good sport too. Very supportive.

Today after my walk I stopped by a store to pick up a bar of soap and unexpectedly found some nice coconut milk soap and shampoo bar soap with rosemary. Anyway I just tried them and they are so nice. I love finding something far better than what I was expecting and far cheaper. Less than $4 @ Shopper’s Drug Mart and the shampoo bar lathers up better than any of my shampoos.
View attachment 296007
I have really wanted to try bar shampoo. Think I’ll look for them again. Thanks.

That looks gorgeous and is exactly the kind of cut I want. Really short at the bottom with sassy layers on top.

I’m so glad you added that it’s not a picture of you cause otherwise you’d look far too young to be a senior.

That’s so very nice. Thanks for posting.
It must be great for wash and wear. I’d love to be able to wash my hair every day or second day . This looks like easy care.
Very easy care. The lady that cut it followed the way my hair naturally grows so the cut was natural. I just wash and go.

Well, I decided to listen you the majority of you who told me to really think this over and if I still wanted to pursue this to do it in stages so I did. Earlier I was asked if I’d do before and after pictures and I didn’t think I had any pictures. I’m not into taking selfies and once I cut my hair regretted not having any, if only for a token to remember it by. When you’ve had long hair your entire life, cutting it IS a big deal.

Luckily my husband actually had many pictures of my hair since he took photos of me out and about and with our family. God bless him.

Here are some photos of my hair from the past.

Hennaed hair. This is the colour I did myself. I never went to hair dressers.

Hair in a bun

Hair in a bun as I was transitioning into natural colour with lots of silver and a hair forks I carved myself

There’s is was my hair last year when we went kayaking. My hairs tucked behind the kayak seat

This is it after 6 inches cut off

I cut off the first 6 inches so I could get used to it being shorter.

Last edited:
I am in awe of hairdressers. They're not allowed any mistakes, and everyone has their own ideas. Such skill, talent, and dedication.

Cut my own hair? No. Never.

Back