What are you doing today 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a lot of large oak rounds I had cut earlier in the year, and I finally got access to a powered wood splitter, so I ran through them all today and got everything split up, and then I had to re-stack them back in the garage. Got it all done, and the mess cleaned up, so I'm good to go on firewood for the year, with plenty to share if others run short.
Impressive and so nice of you to think of others. 🙂

@Gardenlover Glad you got a good report.

Raking. A little at a time.
I rake where the leaves accumulate, onto a tarp. Then I pull it out to the burn place and burn a couple loads at a time so if I get interrupted or tired I can stop there. DH will mulch the middle with the mower.
We learned a long time ago. Only rake what you're going to burn or you'll end up with giant piles of wet leaves.

Once again I have been up all night. At least I have done many household chores. The top oven now is covered in vinegar/baking soda paste so it can be scrubbed clean. The kitchen fridge has been cleaned out of leftovers that were old, then wiped down on the shelves and drawers.

Yesterday,some years ago was another day. I was at work just returned from the Thanksgiving weekend that year. I received a call from our home health nurse. My husband was at home recuperating after a brain surgery in late September. It had been a hard fall season for us.

The nurse was coming every other day to check on him and draw blood. She informed me that there was a problem in his bloodwork that morning and he needed to go into the hospital. I only worked 5 minutes from home so I was there quickly. My son helped me get him in the car and off we went. He was admitted straight to ICU because of his situation.

I stayed at the hospital until midnight then went home to get a few hours of sleep. I was back the next morning at 6AM. All seemed to be going well, he was awake, alert. At noon I went down to the cafeteria to get some lunch. The overhead speaker came on calling a code blue. It took a few seconds and I realized it was for his room.

I ran to the elevator and back to ICU. His room was full of doctors and nurses working on him. I just fell to the floor. The doctor came out, led me to a chair and told me he was gone. Just like that on December 1st at 12:34 he left this world. So, if you have a minute at that time today, tell him I still miss him,
I'll be thinking of you today. 💐

Morning, late, but good morning anyway......cold out and the rain overnite didn't turn to snow....goody....may still get some
wet stuff later, 37F rite now....prob won't go much higher....been
kinda poorly this morning, clumsy, nose runs away with me, wish that would stop, but got supper on the stove, meaning I'm
trying to cook instead of nuke !!!! Burger, with onions, with mushrooms, with mushroom soup, with garlic sprinkles, peper and more pepper, canned diced potatoed....so we will see what happens.....Have great day if you wish!!!! ;):LOL::devilish:

I'm home.

It's cold and raining with more to come all day and all night and again all day tomorrow. We need rain, but it sure is dreary-looking out there.

I'm gonna sit on my dead center and watch mindless stuff on tv this afternoon. Like murder shows. Gonna watch murder shows. I've figured out how it is that all the victims are always lovable and kind and good people. It's because the good die young. I dunno about all the older people who get murderized because they're always lovable and kind and good, too. Maybe they had another life that we don't get told about.

TL was off today, and it would have been another pleasant day except...she ignored a big order for pick up this morning. Just pretended it wasn't there. 600 sugar cookies. We did this last week, and the customer loved it so ordered again. 600 cookies. 600! Packaged 30 to a container. 20 containers. Customer also got another big 5-gallon bucket of icing. I bet it's for kids to decorate for Christmas. If she orders again next week, I'm going to ask her.

Did you ever wanna see an old lady move fast? Somebody should have recorded me because I was moving along at warp speed. Got 'er done, along with baking bread and rolls and breakfast pastries and all the rest of the stuff.

If I could spare it, I'd give TL a piece of my mind. Ah, well, after tomorrow I don't ever have to deal with her again. Our newish person will be there next week, and I can't wait to work with someone who's agreeable and helpful and energetic and cheerful and positive. It'll be so refreshing!

Okay. Nap time and murder shows.

Raking. A little at a time.
I rake where the leaves accumulate, onto a tarp. Then I pull it out to the burn place and burn a couple loads at a time so if I get interrupted or tired I can stop there. DH will mulch the middle with the mower.
We learned a long time ago. Only rake what you're going to burn or you'll end up with giant piles of wet leaves.

Keep at it, you'll get there.

We haven't been allowed to burn leaves here for decades. Even the place we used to be table to take them to closed down because they ran out of places to take the compost. We just have too many. Now we must hire industrial hauling that processes the leaves to compost and resells it by the rail car load.

Keep at it, you'll get there.

We haven't been allowed to burn leaves here for decades. Even the place we used to be table to take them to closed down because they ran out of places to take the compost. We just have too many. Now we must hire industrial hauling that processes the leaves to compost and resells it by the rail car load.
We may get annexed one of these days and the burning will end.

Well it's dark again... and the cars which thawed during the sunshine of the day are now all iced up again,... it's minus 3... at 7pm...

Last night I had the best sleep I'd had for ages, because the antibiotics seem to be working, and I wasn't woken with problems throughout the night.. but given that I'd had that sleep... I was really surprised that I felt so tired around 2pm, so I sat down on the sofa, and fell asleep.. and was stunned to wake up over 2 hours later, having yet had such a great sleep I thought I was in bed....and even my knee pain didn't wake me as it often does..

It's so cold in the house tonight, I bit the bullet and put the heating on for 90 minutes.. instead of just one hour... and brought the temps up to 67 deg before turning it off.. then I had a hot dinner.. Shepherds pie.. so that also warmed me up.. so now I'm comfortably warm even tho' the heating is off.. but I do have 4 layers on now..lol

It's so cold in the house tonight, I bit the bullet and put the heating on for 90 minutes.. instead of just one hour... and brought the temps up to 67 deg before turning it off.. then I had a hot dinner.. Shepherds pie.. so that also warmed me up.. so now I'm comfortably warm even tho' the heating is off.. but I do have 4 layers on now..lol
What a terrible way to have to live, in a modern western nation in the 21st century.

I'm sitting here with my furnace cranking out an affordable and toasty 72 degrees f all day long. I feel for you.

What a terrible way to have to live, in a modern western nation in the 21st century.

I'm sitting here with my furnace cranking out an affordable and toasty 72 degrees f all day long. I feel for you.
thank you.. you're right, it is a terrible way to live, and there are thousands worse off then me unfortunately..due to the horrendous hike in electricity and gas prices, there are people now who can't afford to turn their heating on at all..

I never thought that at this time in my life I wouldn't be able to afford to live in a heated house in winter..

@hollydolly Do you have one of those small electric heaters that @StarSong & I were commenting on. They’re inexpensive to buy and run. You can heat a moderate area very quickly. They’re great.

The Best Space Heaters For 2023
They're not cheap to run here tho' Jules.. all and anything electrical in the way of heaters are very expensive to run. I have 2 small heaters which I've had for several years. I used to put one on in the office room here for an hour or so at a time.. but no longer... too expensive to run..

As usual, I took my pups this morning for a one-plus hour hike in the nearby wilderness. I love nature. It's so relaxing and uplifting.
Bottom left: I hiked this 3,000 foot mountain many times starting at 1,300 feet; the last time at age 84 (I am now getting close to 88 and have to renew my driving license for another 5 years.)
Bottom right: some abandoned orange trees survive in the ravine against all odds; soon I'll go and have a little feast

IMGP0316.JPGIMGP0313.JPGIMGP0318.JPG

IMGP0322.JPGIMGP0324.JPG

Last edited:
What about heated clothing? I haven't tried it (except some battery heated gloves 20 years ago that were annoyingly heavy and awkward when doing barn chores), but if we can trust the advertisers (ha ha), staying warm via heated clothing only requires 1/50th or less of the amount of electricity.
I have gloves normal gloves, I don't think I need heated gloves.. however as I've said before altho' I can't really have heating on more than an hour a day, it's this office room which gets the coldest because there is no heating/radiators in here at all.. and it's not easy for me to type with gloves on, I've tried with fingerless ones..

Well it's dark again... and the cars which thawed during the sunshine of the day are now all iced up again,... it's minus 3... at 7pm...

Last night I had the best sleep I'd had for ages, because the antibiotics seem to be working, and I wasn't woken with problems throughout the night.. but given that I'd had that sleep... I was really surprised that I felt so tired around 2pm, so I sat down on the sofa, and fell asleep.. and was stunned to wake up over 2 hours later, having yet had such a great sleep I thought I was in bed....and even my knee pain didn't wake me as it often does..

Good to hear that you slept well and that you are warmer. Apparently it is going to be very cold over the weekend but will warm up next week. (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back