What are you doing today 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd worry about pipes freezing. Of course when we get the really cold stretches in January we worry about that anyway.
I do worry about that..which is why I put the heating on for an hour a day.. might just be half hour in the morning and again at night.. but it's the only way I think I can hopefully prevent the pipes from freezing..

thanks Star.. the trouble is it'll be at least 5 more weeks.. because 3 weeks until the procedure then at least 2 weeks for it to take effect is what she told me today... :(
Oh gosh, that's rough! Plus the additional effect, since it's the holiday season.
Did you get an ultrasound for your abdomen? Or did that lump get resolved some other way? I tried to look back thru the thread, but missed too much and can't find anything about that.

When it gets really hard cold here, close to 0 F (-18 C) and below people will drain their pipes or leave a trickle running in the coldest part of the house, often the basement laundry.

@Sliverfox
That's disappointing that the scope medical procedure your husband had, and that you'd waited a long week for results, did not give you useful info about it. :confused:
Did it at least rule some possibilities out?

Great news, the hosp I was in awhile back has given me
complete pass on all charges due to income status !!! yayay......
ohhhh-yeahhhh-59e7aa.jpg

When it gets really hard cold here, close to 0 F (-18 C) and below people will drain their pipes or leave a trickle running in the coldest part of the house, often the basement laundry.
How are you able to survive? Here it's 61 and I am freezing. I even put on a sweater though next week it will again be warmer. OK, in the high desert >4,000 or the mountain communities >7,000 it's also getting cold (but not that cold) while snow birds from your place are flocking to the low desert near sea level where the temperature is perfect = Palm Desert, Palm Springs, Indio, etc. However, when we went skiing at Mammoth Mountain in the Sierra Nevada, 11,000 feet, it was also cold (but again, not that cold.) I finally have given my warm ski clothing to Goodwill because there comes a time when you have to let things go.

IMGP0338.JPGIMGP0341.JPG

Last edited:
Set up this morning to join a group performing a local group creek clean up of trash tomorrow at 9am. Huge Chinook salmon have been spawning this fall of 2023 in never before seen numbers along the stream for a couple weeks now. Small stream a foot or two deep and just 20 feet or so across with huge fish 2 to 4 feet long, some weighing over 30 pounds. Note fishing is illegal therein to allow fish to spawn in peace. Much of the trash is due to homeless encampments.

In our low elevation coastal California urban areas, homeless have been using urban creeks to set up their tent villages, a huge environmental problem I blame politicians for. All our cities have vagrancy laws that are supposed to prevent people from parking anywhere on streets, much less setting up tents on sidewalks as is happening. Here in rich Santa Clara County aka Silicon Valley, there are few tented on streets as in some cities like San Francisco, but rather they do so along urban streams and under highway overpasses etc.

Politicians are court ordered to provide alternative housing instead of simply moving homeless away that is a ridiculous huge expense per person as implemented. And then there are issues of homeless that prefer to set up tents anywhere, especially junkies and property criminals since courts with their advocates, monkeywrench sensible solutions. Instead cities ought set up areas for hom
eless on public properties like unused school properties, or industrial lands, with port-a-potties, water, and helpers where they can monitor.

How are you able to survive? Here it's 61 and I am freezing. I even put on a sweater though next week it will again be warmer. OK, in the high desert >4,000 or the mountain communities >7,000 it's also getting cold (but not that cold) while snow birds from your place are flocking to the low desert near sea level where the temperature is perfect = Palm Desert, Palm Springs, Indio, etc. However, when we went skiing at Mammoth Mountain in the Sierra Nevada, 11,000 feet, it was also cold (but again, not that cold.) I finally have given my warm ski clothing to Goodwill because there comes a time when you have to let things go.

View attachment 316968View attachment 316969
yes it's 6o degrees f here inside the house currently and it feels cold but not freezing, ... outside it's minus 3... I'm wearing 4 layers on top and 2 layers on the bottom

I've just made the hot water bottle and put it in my bed to take the cold off...

this morning when I got up it was -5 deg.. so I had to put the heating on cuz my whole body was shaking with cold before I could even get in the shower.....and it's only November.. January feb and March tend to be the coldest here...

Last edited:
Being able to exist comfortably in really cold weather conditions is a matter of wearing effective clothing. As a thin old person, I become cold easily and dislike having any parts of my body chilly. But I have learned how to do so anywhere by wearing really warm clothing like those say on arctic expeditions.

If a person is active, say hiking or skiing, in outdoor cold, one does not tend to be too bothered. But if say ice fishing sitting still, or sitting in a cold football stadium in Buffalo, NY, in 20F cold, it can be unbearably unpleasant. The key is to wear extra warm enough clothing fully protecting one's body however such is often expensive and often not available on usual consumer clothing sites. Today I bought goose down filled inner layer pants on sale for $225. Something that few others would consider. But wearing such with other layering components, can endure anything short of a blizzard.
Men's Ghost Whisperer™ Pant | Mountain Hardwear

@David777 I totally understand what you‘re dealing with there. We have the homeless squatting anywhere they want, including in environmentally sensitive areas. They also start fires. There are numerous places provided for them but, in theory, they have to give up the drugs there. They won’t do it.

Going to the hospital to get another Endoscopy, as a precaution, to ensure the esophagus cancer isn't sneaking back.
I'm unaware of your history, Gardenlover. How was the esophagus cancer treated?

I had seven weeks of treatment, back in early 2022, for a squamous-cell carcinoma closer to the epiglotis. Successful.

Last edited:
I went down and did laundry at 3:30 this morning. I really didn't feel up to it but I knew that it is supposed to be rainiing tomorrow morning. Due to my new system I had time to refill my supplies before going downstairs to get the clothes out. I started drying them around 9:00 & put everything away (a rarity), including the clothes that were left from the last laundry day. Tonight my son sat with me while I prepared three pill cases and we had an interesting, enlightening conversation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back